Canna Lily 'Black Knight'

Canna x generalis

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Knight

Scarlet (Dark Red)

This plant is resistant to deer

Fresno, California

Premont, Texas

Richmond, Virginia

South Boston, Virginia

On Jun 16, 2014, debylutz from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Wow! I could not believe how beautiful and healthy the 5-gallon Black Knight cannas were at Sperling Nursery in Calabasas CA. I bought two at $30 each to use in one of my landscape designs. The cannas were well cared-for and almost pristine in appearance with 5 to 8 stalks in each pot. Total bargain for plants so beautiful and robust :)

On Feb 5, 2013, kivorykay from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

I don't believe I could get rid of this beauty if I intended to. The first year, I lost track of them (about a dozen) in fall because I'd inadvertently covered them with about 2" of leaves & soil. They came up beautifully. Last winter I pulled them out of the ground (they were soaked and I worried about winter rot) but didn't get them inside. They froze and dried into wizened little dead things.

Luckily, I overlooked destroying one lonely rhizome, which came up in May and propagated wildly. Six or seven bloomed in summer (2012) and by Oct., I counted 29 ready to be separated.

I'm in Zone 6, but have a Zone 7 microclimate. The canna are watered less than most of the garden but are growing behind a decaying stump that may provide additional moisture. I (gene... read more

On Jun 5, 2011, annsg from Apollo Beach, FL wrote:

Very successful here in 9b, cannas will just keep coming up and coming up. Love water but seem to be pretty drought/heat resistant when established. Ours looked best in spring and early summer...late summer brought about some kind of caterpillar that turned the beautiful foliage into nothing but ragged pieces every year. They can get a little top-heavy when the stalks get pretty tall; many of mine bent and collapsed. Cannas are great if you're looking for something you can basically ignore and if a bit of messiness doesn't bother you, but unattractive spent stalks and many brown, spent leaves combined with the caterpillar problems caused us to remove ours.

On Apr 25, 2010, pamichen from Huntington Woods, MI wrote:

I have good luck with this in my garden pond. I put a couple of cinder blocks beneath it and grow it with the bottom of the pot (bottom 2 inches) in the water. Plant does great-lots of leaves and flowers and the red and dark greenish black colors are unusual in a pond. I dig it and over-winter it indoors packed in peat. Works well. All-around good plant.

On Mar 15, 2010, SusanKC from Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Love this canna. We mass plant this every year to get more privacy for our patio. Very easy to care for. We drop it in a hole, cover, put a soaker hose over it and by midsummer it is in bloom. Our cannas are well over 7 feet by the end of the summer. Hummingbirds love the blossoms.

On Mar 3, 2006, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had this plant for a few years now, and it is a very robust grower, remains healthy, but does need to be divided every year to encourage strong new growth. I keep it in deep plastic 10" pots, and when it begins to grow in Spring it pushes the side of the pots out, that is the time to divide.

The leaves are very large, I measured one of the new leaves to 2 feet long, they start off a dark, plum purple with deep green striping, maturing to a more mellow colour. All the pictures I see where it is offered are deep red, in reality they are a rich orange with a red flush, but this may alter according to soils and sun levels.

I grow it in a mixture of leafy compost with gritty river soil and Moss Peat, adding a little slow release fertiliser will provide ... read more

On Mar 3, 2006, Pagancat from (Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

My first canna bloom this year (this is a very warm winter). Planted it mid fall - large, scarlet bloom, very nice. My leaves are not so dark as others describe, more a purplish green, but a nice contrast to the blooms.

I don't have a pond but it survives on the graywater from my washing machine.

On Nov 20, 2003, CannaGrwr wrote:

I have this very dark flowered canna 'Black Night', a very good red color! next to my very white flowered one 'New White'! right now both in full bloom towering over my fence in late November!. I love to show them both off. Hopefully they will bloom all winter long here in Southern California!. One year canna 'Black Night' did!.

On Sep 28, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

My first canna and still one of my very favourites. Huge black red bloom over deep black green leaves. Medium height.
Excellent canna (o: