Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Florence Vaughan'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Florence Vaughan

Ponds and Aquatics

Orange

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Arley, Alabama

Shepherd, Texas

Magna, Utah

Bellingham, Washington

On Apr 22, 2011, limey957 from Vero Beach, FL wrote:

I brought home one of these plants last year, and planted it next to a down pipe from my house so that it would stay in damp soil at all times. By the end of the summer 1 had become about 12, and they were all about 6 ft. We had a frost this winter and they all died down to the ground. a week later they were growing again, and are currently 6ft again in full bloom.
I have since acquired 3-4 other types of cannas which are planted all around my yard with different colour blooms and foilage. They are already coming up in 3s. I look forward to finding more and more types to plant. They appear to grow taller in the most sunny spots and where they receive the most water.

On Oct 10, 2007, nolafwug from Metairie, LA wrote:

These were growing in the very neglected, very moist yard at the place we moved into. The foliage looked horrible due to leaf rollers but when they flowered it was amazing. I cut them down to the ground and in a month they were 4-6 feet tall and about to flower again with absolutely no care beyond the scalping I gave them. I can't wait to try the Tropicanna cultivar next year. I see a lot of these around but sadly most have the ratty look they get when leaf rollers attack. I suppose one must keep on top of it and cut down the buggy stalks.

On Aug 19, 2007, krissy_p from Pipe Creek, TX wrote:

I started out with three of these cannas and now two years later I have several dozen, they multiply quickly. The flowers are, in my opinion, the most beautiful of all the cannas I have seen. Just keep an eye out for those horrible leaf rollers.

On Apr 27, 2007, Lhouselover from Arley, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

This was my first canna that my grandson gave me but didn't know the name. I started with about 12 very small tubers but now have them everywhere and have traded and shared them all over the U.S. They will grow ANYWHERE in any soil, you don't even have to put dirt on them. If they get to taking over too much, I just pull up by arm loads and dump anywhere I want them to grow.

On Feb 1, 2006, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Excellent and vigorous heirloom canna that always looks beautiful and does great for me.

On Sep 3, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

A great and strong multiplier. Wondreful tough blooms un suitable for the vase. Grows very,very,very quickly from bare rooted divisions. pokerboy.

On Jul 19, 2004, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

It grows wonderful in my yard, both in fairly dry spots as well as in moisture-saturated spots (appropriate, since I dug the original bulbs up from a drainage ditch!), and has multiplied greatly. The only problem is with the (leaf-cutter larvae?) which seem to have a feast on them mid-season, but once the plants get too chewed up, I just cut them off at ground level and let them start all over again.

On Sep 24, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have had these lilies around my most of my life, they adapt well to what ever situation they are in. I have them up to 72" high. They do multiply quickly.