PlantFiles: Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Princess Di'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Princess Di

Thumbnail #5 of Canna x generalis by EmmaGrace

By poisondartfrog
Thumbnail #6 of Canna x generalis by poisondartfrog

Positive Pallura On Apr 15, 2011, Pallura from Anna, TX wrote:

Planted 4 last spring and all came up and had several blooms/stalks each. Grows to about 2 - 2 1/2 ft tall in my garden. They are absolutely gorgeous. They did take awhile to get going (1-2 mo to show growth) but once they popped out of the ground they grew like crazy with so much lovely foliage. We actually had two hard freezes this year and I'm hoping they survived the winter. It's still too early to tell.

I planted another mixed bag I got for cheap at walmart and not a single Canna came up. When I dug up the tubers, they were rotten though planted appropriately, so I'm not sure if success with these is really based primarily on the stock it came from or luck.

Negative kdfisher On Oct 15, 2010, kdfisher from Ellijay, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Purchased at WalMart, planted by specifications but never came out of the ground.

Positive Lhouselover On Apr 27, 2007, Lhouselover from Arley, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is also my first year for this one and so far seems to be a SLOW grower. I sure hope that it does well for me and blooms and multiplies so I can share with friends.

Positive crowellli On Jul 19, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This canna is reliably shorter than most others I've tried where the "dwarfs" still reach 5 to 6 feet in my garden. This one, so far, in staying about 2 feet tall. My blooms are more yellow with peach markings than the pink that others report. I don't know if this is due to soil or climate. It's only the first year in my garden, so I'm not sure how vigorously it spreads, which with some cultivars can be almost invasive. Still have to watch for cann leaf rollers. Ugh!

Positive BUFFY690 On May 19, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is one of my favorites, at around 4 feet is was a great addition in 2004. My small clump has tripled but is still in a nice clump in 2005. I cannot wait for the bloom this year, It really is a standout

Arley, Alabama
Waynesboro, Mississippi
Sumter, South Carolina
Anna, Texas
Fate, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Jacksonville, Texas