Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Red King Humbert'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Red King Humbert
Additional cultivar information:(aka Roi Humbert)

Burgundy

Bronze-Green

Enterprise, Alabama

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Scottsdale, Arizona

Knoxville, Tennessee

Morrison, Tennessee

Rowlett, Texas

On Sep 30, 2012, bobb1047 from McDonald, OH wrote:

planted two bulbs in early spring. just watered when needed because of a very hot, dry summer. they grew to 36in tall and bloomed 5 different times. dug them up last day of sept. potted them and took inside. my first time, so we'll see what happens. love these plants.... (NE Ohio)

On Oct 1, 2006, debbiemcgrath from KING CITY

These are absolutely magnificant plants. I start mine in March so they bloom late july. Has anyone tried to move them indoors under growing lights for the winter. If so how do they last. Sure would be nice to have them bloom all year in canada

On Jul 24, 2006, lovesdaylilies from Roopville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my first year with this one and i love it! it is very attractive and i would grow it for the foliage alone not to mention the beautiful blooms! it is very eye catching in my bed in front of my home. I can't wait to see it next year!

On Nov 10, 2004, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a reliably hardy and rapidly growing Canna in central Florida. It blooms nearly year round in this climate, most prolificly from March through November. Of course, it is hardy in somewhat colder zones where it dies to the ground with frost, and rhizomes must be dug or brought inside where the ground freezes to even a shallow depth.

On Nov 9, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is an absolutely breathtaking canna that I used for years in my water garden. The plant generally grows over 4' with striking foliage that turns almost a burgundy red in full sun. It is a striking addition to the landscape, even when it's not flowering. Grows quickly and can be overwintered in northern climates by bringing inside and keeping the tubers just moist. I used to cut off the foliage and throw the pot in with my other water garden hold overs - like taro in a large tub and just keep moist. Then in spring simply bring them out and put back into the watergarden.

I first purchased this in an 8" pot, which needed repotting after the first year. After 6 years of overwintering, dividing, repotting, etc. It just became too ponderous a plant so I let it go to ou... read more