Canna Lily 'Stuttgart'

Canna x generalis

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Stuttgart

Sumter, South Carolina

Fate, Texas

Richland, Washington

On Nov 7, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I''ve tried growing this plant twice, both unsuccessfully. They had enough shade and water, but I think it needs to be in almost an acquatic setting. I won't bother with it again as there are other easier to grow variegated plants.

On Aug 21, 2010, Mbfirey from Pageland, SC wrote:

They need full shade or close to it, to not burn. Mine looked nice this spring but have gotten really burnt as things have heated up. I plan on moving this canna to the shadiest spot I can find to keep it from burning.

On Jul 12, 2010, dyzzypyxxy from Sarasota, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have planted this Canna"Stuttgart" twice from two different suppliers in the last 5 years. No trouble growing it, and no burning, since it is in the shade in the summer, but has sun all winter here in Florida. It blooms all year 'round unless we get a frost. BUT I have no white variegation on the leaves whatsoever. Anybody else had this problem? Love the plant, but am disappointed it has plain foliage.

On Feb 15, 2010, donnacreation from Sumter, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted this canna 2 yrs ago, and wondered why it looked burnt and damaged throughout it's growing season. Now I know it can't handle full sun in SC. I plan to relocate it to a damp area with more shade this spring.

On Jul 16, 2008, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Don't disregard this canna just because it's hot were you live or you're in the South! It just needs the right conditions in your yard, and it makes a wonderful canna if you have the right spot to put it in.

I have two that I planted a few months ago a few feet away from each other, sitting in water, covering a drainage pipe. One is in almost full shade and only gets very early morning sunshine, while the other gets 3-4 hours of direct morning sun. The one growing in shade never burns and is very happy and fast growing, and the one getting just a few hours of direct sun burns on the white parts wherever they are exposed (although it might not at higher latitudes where the sun is less intense). Neither are affected by heat, because they are getting more than enough wate... read more

On May 15, 2008, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grow these in the shade with lots of water, sometimes in the ponds. As long as I keep it out of direct sun and well-hydrated it looks good. The flowers are smaller than some, but a wonderful peach color on very tall stalks. Sometimes the new growth emerges mostly green but turns heavily variegated as it grows. I have had no reversions in three seasons with four different plantings.

Unlike Phaison (tropicanna) and Pretoria (bengal tiger) which sulk and do poorly for me, Stuttgart is vigorous, divides quickly, and grows tall. It is a beautiful plant, and the favorite of those who see it by my front door. Omega, the parent form, would be a favorite of mine for those qualities and the flowers even without the variegation.

I can't speak for the South, thoug... read more

On Mar 6, 2008, joan30157 from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I will wait to pass a negative until after this summer. The first year in I was not impressed. The varigation is way over rated. Hit and miss to say the least. Flower color isn't as pretty as my other cannas. For the price of this canna it was quite dissapointing. Maybe this year it will put on a better show.

On Aug 6, 2007, TeresaInCAL from Valley Springs, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my first year growing it, and so far, it's doing OK. Of course it does burn. It only gets morning sun, and plenty of water...still burns. Oh well, it's still pretty.

On Oct 12, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Burns here in the shade as well.
Time for a new variegated cultivar.

On Jul 20, 2006, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

It is too hot in South Central Texas to get this to grow without blistering.

On Apr 27, 2006, dave wrote:

If you have sunshine of any kind this cultivar is pretty worthless. It seems like each time the plant comes out with a new leaf, it "burns" the same day.

A variegated canna is a great idea but somehow a canna that you can't grow in the south seems pretty useless to me.

On Oct 17, 2005, zzazzq from Madison, MS wrote:

White areas of foliage burn in hot weather. I've tried growing itin shade, adding magnesium(as someone suggested) keeping it well hydrated, to no avail. Once the weather gets hot here in MS, this plant is just miserable. Mine has tended to revert to the green form, too, which is very tall, and has small ornage flowers (?Omega), and is actually a pretty good plant here.

On Sep 7, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Really like the foliage of Stuttgart. Even though leaves tend to brown ..Stuttgart made it
through this summer's unusual hot dry conditions here with flying colours. Tall height.