PlantFiles: Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Tropical Rose'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Tropical Rose

Thumbnail #6 of Canna x generalis by REBLOOMER

By REBLOOMER
Thumbnail #7 of Canna x generalis by REBLOOMER

Positive REBLOOMER On Mar 1, 2014, REBLOOMER from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Started the cannas in February 2013 from seed I purchased. Indoors, under lights and with a heat mat after I scored the seed and soaked for 48 hours in warm water. They germinated in about a week. I had ten seeds and nine germinated. With the warm conditions, between 80 & 85 degrees, they grew quickly. I think these should be started in at least a four-inch pot each.

I planted the majority of these into pots on my deck and a few into the ground when they reached about five inches tall. The ones in pots grew to about three feet, blooming first when they reached about two feet (seed packet said they bloom three months from sowing). The cannas in the ground grew a little slower and didn't reach quite as tall. I think it may have been because of our clay soil here in NC. They bloomed all summer.

I am very pleased with these cannas and this year I will be growing the seed I collected from them. I purchased the Tropical yellow seed and will be growing this also. I had no problems with pests, may have just been lucky. This was my first time growing any canna.

Now I'm waiting to see if they all come back up this year after our unusually cold winter weather.

Neutral AAS_NGB On Jun 20, 2012, AAS_NGB from Downers Grove, IL wrote:

'Tropical Rose' is an AAS Winner--one of the first cannas from seed!

Positive aking1a On Aug 27, 2003, aking1a from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My best canna. First canna to bloom, blooms continuously, last canna still in bloom - and it has by far the largest flower head. Control leaf rollers with granular systemic insecticide.

Positive Jerome On Jan 23, 2003, Jerome from Beer-Sheva
Israel wrote:

Medium sized with pink flowers and green foliage.This is a very beautifull plant who is still bloom in the the middle of january !!! I have a variation who is red and perform very well in my garden. This is the "Tropical Red". The "Tropical Red" and the "Tropical Rose" are cultivars that can be raised by seeds. All the others cannas are raised by rhisome division, by seeds you will never obtain the same plant.

Positive Abutilon On Sep 7, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

'Tropical Rose' is one of my very favourite cannas.
I like everything about it (o:

Vincent, Alabama