Canna Lily 'Tropical Rose'

Canna x generalis

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Tropical Rose

Greer, South Carolina

Memphis, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

On Jun 28, 2015, alexgr1 from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Canna Lily Rust Fungus (Puccinia thaliae)
Cheap or discounted plants from big box stores sometimes come with a price. All plant lovers when we walk in the plant nursery the first place we look for is the clearance rack. After all who does not like to pay 50% less than the regular price on that plant you've been after.
I've done that for years. But lately I bought a Canna Lily. Planted it next to my other Cannas and I notice that the new Cannas were suffering with stunted growth. Add to that some yellow/orange rust on its leafs.
Three to four weeks later my healthy Canna were all infected with what later I was able to ID as Puccinia thaliae.
Long story short the best way to irradicate the Canna Rust was cutting one by one each infected leaf and pi... read more

On Mar 1, 2014, REBLOOMER from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Started the cannas in February 2013 from seed I purchased. Indoors, under lights and with a heat mat after I scored the seed and soaked for 48 hours in warm water. They germinated in about a week. I had ten seeds and nine germinated. With the warm conditions, between 80 & 85 degrees, they grew quickly. I think these should be started in at least a four-inch pot each.

I planted the majority of these into pots on my deck and a few into the ground when they reached about five inches tall. The ones in pots grew to about three feet, blooming first when they reached about two feet (seed packet said they bloom three months from sowing). The cannas in the ground grew a little slower and didn't reach quite as tall. I think it may have been because of our clay soil here in NC. They b... read more

On Jun 20, 2012, AAS_NGB from Downers Grove, IL wrote:

'Tropical Rose' is an AAS Winner--one of the first cannas from seed!

On Aug 27, 2003, aking1a from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My best canna. First canna to bloom, blooms continuously, last canna still in bloom - and it has by far the largest flower head. Control leaf rollers with granular systemic insecticide.

On Jan 23, 2003, Jerome from Beer-Sheva
Israel wrote:

Medium sized with pink flowers and green foliage.This is a very beautifull plant who is still bloom in the the middle of january !!! I have a variation who is red and perform very well in my garden. This is the "Tropical Red". The "Tropical Red" and the "Tropical Rose" are cultivars that can be raised by seeds. All the others cannas are raised by rhisome division, by seeds you will never obtain the same plant.

On Sep 7, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

'Tropical Rose' is one of my very favourite cannas.
I like everything about it (o: