PlantFiles: Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Yellow King Humbert'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Yellow King Humbert

Bulbs
Ponds and Aquatics

Orange

Veined
Rubbery-Textured

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By Debby

Thumbnail #6 of Canna x generalis by Kauai17

By Kauai17
Thumbnail #7 of Canna x generalis by Kauai17

Positive packerbaby On Apr 20, 2012, packerbaby from Quincy, IL wrote:

I bought these on a whim a year ago and have been very lucky with them. I'm in zone 5b and didn't realize you had to dig these up for winter. I had a good 5" of mulch over the rhizomes and it has survived! Not only has it survived somehow it's managed to multiply and I have moved them to a sunnier location. What started out as 4 plants has turned into about 10 so far. Not sure if my luck will last this coming winter so if anyone can tell me how to store them please let me know.

Positive rockymontuno On Oct 12, 2009, rockymontuno from Rocky Mount, NC wrote:

I love my King Humberts! I bought two in the spring and I guess I have at least six now. Living in Zone 7, do I need to dig Humbert up and store in the refrigerator or will he overwinter okay?

Neutral Turtlegaby On Aug 4, 2009, Turtlegaby from Decatur, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Yellow King Humbert and Florence Vaughan are the same Canna. Not sure, why they come with 2 different names. Anyway, this is one Canna that multiplies so fast, that before you realize it, you have hundreds of them. I started out with only one plant 3 years ago and now have several hundreds. They are taking over my yard and I can't sell them as fast as they grow. The blooms are large and beautiful, they are my earliest bloomers and the latest ones. A few of them I have planted in a bed that has a half day shade and the soil is a mix of sand and grass clippings . Didn't expect them to grow there at all, but those got over 7 feet tall. Go figure, they obviously love sand mixed with plant matter in a half shady location. I just had to divide them again, because the rhizomes would get so large and even grow out of the bordered bed into the grass. Basically I am permanently dividing them and am now running out of space.

Positive antsinmypants On May 20, 2009, antsinmypants from Marietta, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

I believe people are getting 'Yellow King Humbert' and 'Florence Vaughan' mixed up.

Including me! Not sure which one I have now.

Positive crimsontsavo On Mar 15, 2008, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A very reliable bloomer. Mine have more than doubled in number since planted in '07.
Gorgeous.

Positive skaz421 On May 5, 2007, skaz421 from Wesley Chapel, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Love this canna....but I wanted to warn everyone, that this cultivar is the same as Florence Vaughan. I didn't know, and ended up trading for a lot of canna I already had!!!

Positive Lhouselover On Apr 27, 2007, Lhouselover from Arley, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

The one I purchased is ALL YELLOW bloom. Some people call Florence Vaughan and Yellow King Humbert by the same name. I don't know as I am fairly new to cannas.

Positive Nyssa416 On Sep 5, 2006, Nyssa416 from Clinton, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

This lily grows tall and provides a nice back drop for other plants. The leaves are very dramatic and it proliferates like mad. I can't seem to get mine to bloom though. 4 years running they grown and proliferate but won't bloom. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Positive trois On Jun 15, 2006, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant has brilliant colors, more so than any other canna I have seen.

Positive mkjones On Jun 7, 2005, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My very first canna, and I'm so pleased with it. Yellow King Humbert has led to many other cultivars being planted by its side.

Positive daryl On Jul 15, 2004, daryl from vernon, BC (Zone 6a) wrote:

First year for this particular canna,one unusual thing though,my foliage is burgundy??? Can anyone tell me why ???

Arley, Alabama
Decatur, Alabama
Enterprise, Alabama
Lanett, Alabama
Union Grove, Alabama
Scottsdale, Arizona
Deland, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Trenton, Florida