Swan Plant Milkweed, Tennis Ball Bush

Gomphocarpus fruticosus

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gomphocarpus (gom-fo-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: fruticosus (froo-tih-KOH-sus) (Info)
Synonym:Asclepias fruticosa

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Tempe, Arizona

North Little Rock, Arkansas

Arroyo Grande, California

Carlsbad, California

Long Beach, California

Solana Beach, California

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

New Milford, New Jersey

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Alexandria, Virginia

On Sep 10, 2015, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I like this plant as it creates food for the Monarch butterfly larvae. It grows large, mine is a good five foot tall, but not so big as it's cousin "Hairy Balls" milkweed which I don't like as it is so big it is a major project to cut it back in winter. Gomphocarpus makes a lot more leaves so I don't run out of food like I have in the past with just he Asclepias curassavica in the "Butterfly Garden". I have Monarchs in all stages on it, from eggs to cocoon.

On Jul 20, 2014, Alittlepatchofheaven from Port Saint Lucie, FL wrote:

This is an amazing plant and I can not figure out why it is not available in nurseries! It has deep roots and petite white/purple flowers! It grows quite tall (mine are as tall as 5 feet), likes full sun, tolerates FL heat, and is relatively drought tolerant. I have a garden just for monarchs and this is my favorite milkweed! Monarchs and Queens love to lay eggs on the leaves and munch on it! So much that I have not had any of the seed pods develop yet. I just ordered more seeds online because I want more of this milkweed!!!!

I started my plants from seed from one of my generous neighbors and it was very easy. I have had them for about 18 months.

On Oct 23, 2012, fulxmom from Long Beach, CA wrote:

So glad to find this picture. I have this plant and it had been mislabeld as Swamp Milkweed. The ball shaped seed pods create lots of interest as people walk past my front yard. I did let it get a little too tall but need to wait til this growing season is over to begin a cut-back. Grows quickly

On Sep 18, 2006, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

So far, so VERY good.

It seemed that every single seed that touched the soil germinated. I don't think I lost any seedlings to drying out, dampening off, repotting, etc.

I hope these hardy little plants will survive the winter in a sunny window so I'll have more to comment on next year.

*Note* Pinch the tops otherwise they'll grow very tall without many branches.

On Jun 12, 2002, Ulrich from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

Easily raised form seed. Matures within two years. Fruits are about 2.5 inches diameter and light as air.