PlantFiles: Allium
Allium vineale 'Hair'

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: vineale (vin-AH-lee) (Info)
Cultivar: Hair

Thumbnail #6 of Allium vineale by Theresa

By bbrookrd
Thumbnail #7 of Allium vineale by bbrookrd

Negative coriaceous On Feb 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Ugly. Not nearly as interesting in reality as the catalogs make it sound. Save your money for something with showy flowers or beautiful foliage instead.

I've read varying accounts that place this in Allium sphaerocephalon, A. aflatunense, or A. vineale. If it's the last, this is one of the most pestilential of weeds, and almost impossible to eradicate once you have it.

Positive BPluckylady On May 25, 2011, BPluckylady from Miccosukee Cpo, FL wrote:

This bulb grows well in Tallahassee, Florida in full sun. It does spread by seed but is not invasive. It looks great popping up among the purple coneflowers, providing a lot of interest. My 3 year old plants now produce flower heads 3-4" diameter. It is a charming addition!

Neutral plantaholic186 On Nov 3, 2010, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

Great Allium, but be forewarned that it self-seeds like crazy. Worth it, in my book!

Positive marimuse On Jul 1, 2010, marimuse from Port Townsend, WA wrote:

My hair alliums started blooming a few days ago and are adorable! They are not nearly as large as I thought they would be, being only about an inch and a half in diameter, but they make me laugh every time I look at them. I hope that they will proliferate naturally,and if they do not, I will definitely get more. They look so cute coming up in the midst of other flowers.

Positive jackidee On Jun 23, 2010, jackidee from Sherwood, OR wrote:

Not spectacular, but I like them by my path, as they are about 4' high and easy to inspect closely: and so funny-looking. Real conversation starter.

Neutral quasymoto On Jul 25, 2009, quasymoto from Bloomfield, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love these, but I must have the only fertile ones because every year I end up with tons of these little buggers coming up all over, and they are NOT from the parent plant as I'll find them further away from the main plant. So now I dead head after the hairs are spent so I don't have this "problem."
And I also liken them to a bad hair day or Medusa.

Negative cheerpeople On Feb 25, 2009, cheerpeople from northwest, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

As it's green, it is invisible. Looks like a bad hair day.

Positive Fairy1004 On Jun 13, 2008, Fairy1004 from (bestest fairy)Temperance, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I LOVE mine-it is a beautiful vibrant shade of green and the flowers are a smidge smaller than a baseball. They are so unique, my neighbors love them!!

Negative Leehallfae On Jul 1, 2006, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

The bulbs opened in June. What a disappointment.

The flowers are about the size and shape of a quarter (Amerian coin).

The pictures in the catalog promised more than these flowering onions can deliver.

Positive Silphion On Jun 6, 2006, Silphion from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

An interesting little Allium supposedly a random mutation from a field of regular A. sphaerocephalon (According to Paghat's garden) however, unlike the review of "butt-ugly" by Paghat I find them an interesting addition to mixed borders. I have mine mixed in with other Alliums (Globe giants and Gladiators) as well as Purple coneflowers and Green Wizards Rudbeckia's (I bought the 'hair onion' as part of a green blooming collection). No one would call the 'hair onion' a showstopper but they certainly are one-of-a-kind...also, they fit in well with contorted plants as thier heads are fully of twisty green hair...I wonder if one could make sneeds out of them~

Positive Theresa On Jul 2, 2005, Theresa from Marine City, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grow this bulb in my garden in zone 5. It is both unique and bizarre. A great conversation piece. The picture I have submitted was taken on July 2, 2005. Im growing them in part sun, but I think they would like it with more sun.
My bulbs are grown in good amended soil with a cover of mulch added.

Neutral Baa On Jun 16, 2002, Baa wrote:

Unusual sport found in a field of Allium vineale. It requires very well drained, fertile soil in full sun. Plant out bulbs about 4 inches deep in Autumn to flower the following year.

San Bernardino, California