Lotus Vine, Parrot's Beak
Lotus maculatus

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lotus (LO-tus) (Info)
Species: maculatus (mak-yuh-LAH-tus) (Info)
Synonym:Heinekenia maculata

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Red-Orange

Spring Valley, California

Mc Elhattan, Pennsylvania

On Mar 24, 2015, connie3140 from San Diego, CA wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought a Parrot's Beak plant, mainly to provide nectar flowers for my hummingbirds. I've been doing a little research on the plant and am wondering how I can tell which species it is. It looks like it could either be the Lotus maculatus or the Lotus berthelotii. Any suggestions?

On May 7, 2012, mightymominc from Palm Desert, CA wrote:

I'm in Palm Desert and approaching the 100 + weather of our summer. My potted now 8 month old Parrot's Beak is doing fabulously - my concern is the upcoming heat and blistering sunny conditions.

1. Have considered sending it a mountain location for the summer or
2. Will if I get it out of the direct sun (but it will still have the heat) be enough to continue it's happy condition?

Any experience or recommendations will be appreciated.

On Mar 10, 2009, TwistedSpinsta from Estepona
Spain wrote:

My Lotus Maculata is pot-grown against a west facing wall on the beachfront near the Gibraltar Straits (Medeterranian Sea but Atlantic winds). And had resisted all of natures attempts to destroy it.
Savage wind, rain, flood, drought, hailstones, salt spray and a very active ants nest in the pot (now gone)
No problems with the scale insects and spider mites that plague some of my other plants.
And an amazing display when most other thing are just thinking about getting started!

On May 25, 2005, GernBlandston from Lake Elsinore, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant looks like a vine, but doesn't attach itself permanently or damage anything it climbs on. Hummingbirds love it. It produces so many blooms it's incredible.

On May 1, 2005, Heyentah from Spring Valley, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

This beautiful plant does well in full sun at my home about 10 miles from the ocean as long as it never dries out completely. I bought the plant from the San Diego Wild Animal Park where it does best in partial shade, especially during the hottest part of the year. Incidentally, according to my sources, the proper family is Fabaceae.

On Aug 12, 2003, bluegirl68 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I bought "Lotus Vine" / "Parrot's Beak" in a 4" pot in May 2002. It did NOT like full sun. Thought I lost it. Put it in planter under porch, partial afternoon sun, vine is now approx. 20" long, got a few blooms this spring; scarlet blooms in the shape of a parrot's beak.