Calla Lily, Arum Lily 'Green Goddess'

Zantedeschia aethiopica

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zantedeschia (zan-te-DES-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: aethiopica (ee-thee-OH-pik-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Goddess

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Sparks, Nevada

Ridgefield, Washington

On Mar 28, 2014, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This past weekend, we made a trip to Costco and was pleasantly surprised they had just opened a new garden area. While walking around I found under a canopy some LARGE callas, though they were labeled "Hercules". Under further inspection, I realized that they were actually Green Goddess callas in full bloom. I snatched two and have brought them home. Can't wait to see how these lovelies do in my yard, I'm really excited.

On Mar 26, 2011, MicheleC from Fallbrook, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have been growing this plant for many years and it is a very good grower for me in sunset zone 23. It dies back in the hot summers of course. I wanted to say that this plant does produce true from seed for me. I simply let the flowers go to seed and I have never seen a seedling that was not true to seed. Beautiful plant.

On Jun 10, 2006, mmanman from Houston, TX wrote:

Blooms in May here in Houston. The blooms started white but turned to green. Not very conspicuous.

On Jun 1, 2005, soilsandup from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was given a clump of this plant yesterday after I had told the owner how I wish I had a plant with blooms as lovely as the ones that she brought in. The leaves are rather small compared to the mother plant so it is quite young, but I am hoping that it will grow well in my garden. As cut flowers, the blooms last a long time - over two weeks. Plants tend to be large so it is best grown in the back of the garden.

On May 2, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

Amazing! I'd given up on this plant after the local vandal-raccoon ripped apart my pond this fall. It had struggled all summer with our cold nights, and I figured it just rotted away. Yesterday, while cleaning the pond, I noticed a healthy leaf emerging from somewhere in the depths of the pond sludge!

On Jan 25, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

i love this plant for being unusual. Bought 3 in spring 2004. one died, two are doing well, and to my surprise, 1 bloomed in January 2005. Don't know if blooming time if off--never can't tell with our unpredictable weather. Will definitely buy some more bulbs. planted inground, part sun.

I now have 8 plants. Did I say I love this plant?