Pink Calla Lily

Zantedeschia rehmannii

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zantedeschia (zan-te-DES-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: rehmannii (re-MAN-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Zantedeschia rehmanii

Newport News, Virginia

Bothell, Washington

On Sep 16, 2011, AloeStan from PRESTON
United Kingdom wrote:

As a retired trade journalist, now left to my own garden, in Preston, UK, I still attend trade events. The Four Oaks,(UK) show this month, had two stands displaying Zantedeschia, both offerings grown in Holland. What a fantastic species this is, however not initially easily grown - for the amateur. The indications are it has a very strict requirement of compost plus precise overall conditions. Given that, the huge plate like corms, produce a fantastic display, apparently whilst expensive , the lenthy flowering exhibition, must be worth it. I intend to acquire at least one as soon as possible. South Africa is the original country of development, but surprisingly, the reports suggest it is happy in Europe. As to cold/wet NW UK thats a gamble. - surprisingly one of the exhibitors is... read more

On Mar 25, 2006, raydio from Bessemer City, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a lot hardier than stated on most lists.

It does fine in our 7b winters with no extra protection, just an eastern exposure. My mom had these when I was growing up and they came back every year, bigger and better. I have some of my own and, poor things, they're growing in broken-down mulch on top of black plastic. Not even an inch deep. I'm amazed. I never expected anything less, and they haven't let me down in five years. I did however, just pot them up. They are in the way of the hose pipe and I finally took pity.

On Aug 23, 2004, shortcm from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

My pink calla grows and spreads in part shade. Some blooms are greenish, but most are pink. They are in a garden sheltered from our prevailing winds. We are the border of zones 6 and 7.