Spotted-leaved White Arum, White Spotted Calla Lily

Zantedeschia albomaculata

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zantedeschia (zan-te-DES-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: albomaculata (al-boh-mak-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Calla albomaculata
Synonym:Richardia albomaculata
Synonym:Zantedeschia melanoleuca

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Texarkana, Arkansas

Round Rock, Texas

Spring, Texas

Farmington, Utah

On Aug 8, 2013, phloxie1 from Palatine, IL wrote:

this one has come back beautifully for three years in my suburb outside Chicago (generally, zone 5) - I believe it survives because its location is a sort of "microclimate." this year it is at least 36" tall. I am going to try to divide it in fall and see how that goes.

On May 24, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Every years these hardy guys come up bigger and better than ever. No one's ever taken care of them, but they do get generous amounts of shade and are planted on a slope to allow for good drainage. The arid summers around here tend to make them a bit yellow but with plenty of shade they thrive.

On Jan 11, 2013, tuliper from Cobb Island, MD wrote:

I planted my spotted calla lilly in a mostly shaded garden with dappled light in the morning and afternoon. It is not only thriving but it has become the highlight of the corner it is in! It has come back now for its 2nd year, I planted in May of 2011. It is in a protected spot, about 2-3 feet off the foundation of the house and is in a corner so has protection on two sides. The spotted leaves look fantastic long before it blooms in June in 7B. I would not put this plant in sun as it seems very happy in shade and blooms prolifically with only shade conditions. I will also say I deeply soak the plant about twice a month to make sure it's getting plenty of moisture but in arid southern maryland it has survived quite a lot and long period of drought. I WOULD LIKE MANY MORE

On Nov 1, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

This was the first Zantedeschia that I ever grew. The first in far too many. I suggest this vigorous Zant. for the beginning calla grower and seasoned gardener as well. I also suggest liberally mixing bone meal into its soiless potting mix. High perlite is good, as drainage is absolutely critical for long-term or large-quantity cultivation of this plant. Leaves can burn in hot, dry, full sun. Remove old flowers/seedheads as to not sap the energy from the corm, unless you want seeds.
Screwy flowers the first year are a result of the overuse of flowering hormones on the bulb by the grower.

Hot Climates:
Planting in-ground in makes for much better plant by providing the roots with a cool place to take in moisture, as compared to pots which may heat up and... read more

On Sep 6, 2003, kamia from Athens, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have no idea what variety this is. The package was marked "midnight eclipse" and after seeing it's first bloom and then doing a little research I realized that was wrong. Regardless I was still pleased with the plant.

On Jun 23, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I'm happy to say mine overwintered successfully last year, in a somewhat protected spot (the spot is sheltered on three sides, but it's relatively low.)

On Apr 24, 2003, lexy from Arlington, TX wrote:

Its my first time planting from a seed. This plant proves to be easy to take care of. I enjoy watering it every morning as soon as the sun shines and I love watching it grow everyday. You can always see a difference on its growth & that is what's so fascinating for me. I love them and can't wait for them to bear flowers :)