Native Rosella
Hibiscus heterophyllus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: heterophyllus (het-er-oh-FIL-us) (Info)
» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Pale Pink

On Apr 3, 2004, deekayn from Tweed Coast
Australia wrote:

The jam made from the acidic buds is quite tasty. Great relish with meats, cold or hot.
The plant is found naturally in 'shady and swampy eucalypt forests, jungle gullies and rainforest edges'*(*from Tim Low's book, Wild food plants of Australia)

On Jun 4, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

I collected seed from this plant when I met it in northern New South Wales and succeeded in germinating one. I was doubtful of its growing here in Victoria, so much further South, but I planted it out in a very sheltered position against the end of our house.
It grew and thrived for several years, growing into a small tree and reaching the height of the house, and was always covered with flowers in summer, although individual flowers were short-lived. The flowers are among the largest Hibiscus flowers, being almost white, with a deep red throat. Unfortunately after about 8 years, the tree suddenly gave up and died and I had not saved any seed.