Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle
Lagerstroemia indica 'Candy Stripe'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Candy Stripe
» View all varieties of Crepe Myrtles

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By air layering

Bentonville, Arkansas

Concord, California

Orlando, Florida

Wichita, Kansas

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Huntsville, Texas

On Apr 14, 2010, AwShucks from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought 2 candy stripe crepe myrtles 25 years ago. Both struggled for years with little growth. Maybe 10 years ago one died, and the other finally took hold. It is about 10 ft. tall and vase shaped, 3-4 feet in diameter at the top. I cut back all growth that's less than "pencil" thick in February, and it rewards with fluffy red blooms with a white frill..

On Dec 10, 2009, bsgardens from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This Crepe Myrtle DOES seed. Seeds that will grow into beautiful flowering trees. :D I LOVE This variety. I have growing them for about 6 years.

On Jun 25, 2009, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

As I remove a wild rose bush from strangling one of our Candy Stripes, I was reminded to add this one to my gardening list.

About fourteen years ago we added a number of these Crepe Myrtles to a section of bare land in a half circle pattern to form a driveway. These tough little buggers have really endured over the years. Poor soil, little or no water, allowed to be swallowed by weeds and wild rose bushes. This year we have had more rain than ever, and are currently in the process of once again clearing up the area. This season's blooms are no doubt going to be the best ever!

Though it is considered a dwarf variety, they will grow tall if cared for properly, fertilized and watered regularly. Photos to come at blooming time.

On Aug 22, 2005, sugarweed from Okeechobee, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Just purchased a 2 gallon 3' plant. The blooms are red with white edges thus giving it the candy-stripe name.
I thought it would clash with my Tuscalero CMs, but it doesn't. The flower 'berries are pinkish red too which is very attractive. I had never seen one. I hope next year the rating I give this plant goes from Neutral to Positive. :)