Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle
Lagerstroemia indica 'Dynamite'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dynamite
Additional cultivar information:(PP10296, aka Whit II)
Hybridized by Whitcomb
Registered or introduced: 1996
» View all varieties of Crepe Myrtles

Bronze-Green

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Patented

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Johns Island, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Spring City, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Corsicana, Texas

Dickinson, Texas

Harlingen, Texas

Keller, Texas

Kerrville, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)

Tyler, Texas

Lexington, Virginia

Martinsburg, West Virginia

negative

On Jun 12, 2015, rkwright85 from Horton, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a beautiful variety and for anyone wondering, they grow fine in containers and over-wintered in a garage or on an unheated porch. Crepe myrtles are not reliably hardy in zone 5, even the toughest ones die-back near the ground after winter. I have grown a few that way but the new growth starts late, sometimes as late as the end of May or beginning of June. They grow like perennials and often don't flower, so I'd recommend growing them as container plants if you live in a colder area.

On May 22, 2015, sueh62 from Hendersonville, NC wrote:

I live in zone 7a and have 4 crepe myrtles. They are 3 yrs old now and are healthy. I feed them myrtle food and they are in sun & shade mixed. They all look gorgeous except they have NEVER bloomed. Can anyone tell me why this is?

On Aug 19, 2012, cargarden from Goodview, MN wrote:

I seen how beautiful these are & had to have one I am always trying different plants that are not in my area MN weather, I was wondering has anyone kept one in a large pot & brought it in the winter or did it do ok in zone 4 but actually zone 5-6 weather has changed here this year of course will see this winter. Have had good luck on some plants that are not of this zone. Thank you

On Aug 3, 2012, silverfox59 from Davidson, NC wrote:

I planted two of these plants in Sept of 2010. They looked puney until this year. These plants had a set back earlier this year. In late April we had a freeze that killed about everything. The new growth turned black so about a week later I trimmed them back. By early July the foliage had exploded. I use them in front of Japanese red cedar and the contrast is awesome. Hopefully I will be able to find more this fall as I expand a screening on one side of my property.

On Sep 1, 2011, dennyboy34 from Yonkers, NY wrote:

Planted a small one in the fall of '10 in Zone 6. It survived a nasty cold and snowy NY winter with only a few dead branches. This tree does not leaf out until May, well after everything else. This tree grows on its own schedule not in sync with what you would expect in the spring. Looks kind of odd (and even dead) in the yard with everything else in bloom in the spring when it has no leaves. Almost cut it down because of this, but I gave it some more time. It finally leafed out and growed vigorously starting in May. It also flowers late - you have to wait until August. Well worth the wait though. Some flowers open up white, but quickly turn the signature red color.

On Jul 11, 2011, WVTropics from Martinsburg, WV wrote:

This is the second year that I have had this plant in my garden. Martinsburg is in a borderline 6b/7a zone. It is planted in the open yard in full sun. It is slow to leaf out in the spring, but grows vigorously. Flowering occurs later than other crepe myrtles in the area, but the flowers are a gorgeous deep red.

On Jun 8, 2011, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have 4 of these planted around my front lawn and all have done very well. After 5 years in the ground, they are now putting on some size and really look spectacular when in bloom. I am in Delaware (Zone 7a) and have had no problems with mildew or winter damage.

On Jul 24, 2010, DisHammerhand from Fontana, CA wrote:

The color of this one has to be seen to be believed. It is a rich dark true red.

I laid some rubber while passing Lowe's last year when I saw them taking them off the truck. I turned in a bought a five gallon. They were gone in a day.

I've had it for a year. It looks healthy but hasn't grown much but who cares? It is so red!

On Sep 25, 2009, drorakp from Fair Lawn, NJ wrote:

I have just received a crape myrtle plant that I had ordered a long time ago. Can anyone please advise if I should plant it now or leave it in a pot and wait until spring? I live in North Bergen County, Zone 6. A few neighbors have beautiful looking myrtles in their yards.
thanks - drora.

On May 30, 2009, jerry31557 from Patterson, GA wrote:

This plant as well as all Crepe Myrtles do propagate by seed.

On Apr 9, 2009, slrob from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Purchased from small local nursery last summer. Deep true red blooms instead of the more pink magenta looking colors I found at Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm anxiously awaiting its first blooms this year!

On Aug 14, 2008, djam from Jupiter, FL wrote:

I bought this standard upright plant at Lowes two years ago. They were taking it off the delivery truck and only one was available .Its flame red caught my eye immediately and I took posession of it , it didnt have a price tag on it. By the time I got to the checkout counter I had numerous people admiring it and two persons wanting to buy it from me. I thought that I would have problems with mildew here in humid south Florida, but I did'nt. I fertilize it with rose fertilizer in april and June and let nature take its course. I remove any lower shoots to keep it a standard and I clip off the flower stem after flowering. What a" looker" it is.

On Jul 25, 2008, jeanh23 from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Beautiful red flowers (almost dark red) with NO HINT of pink. This is its first year, and the end of every shoot is covered in buds. No mildew or disease.

On Feb 4, 2008, shortleaf from suburban K.C., MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought a Crepe Myrtle 'Dynamite' from Lowes, so I thought "what the heck I'll try it", I kept the receipt within reach because I was skeptical that it would make it thru the Winter.
Well, all early and mid Spring I thought, "there it went, time for the refund" but lo and behold around June 15th it started sprouting from the base, I couldn't believe it.
And it put on a show too! For a long time it had many pretty red flowers, I would guess for nearly 3 months it bloomed, until early October if memory serves. I'll post a pic of it Sept 23rd 07' when it was still blooming beautifully. You can see in the pic how much it died back. It used to be a much taller plant where-ever it was grown at. And sorry about the weeds, I'll get them pulled out of there better this year (it... read more

On Jan 2, 2008, springrunfarm from Coatesville, PA wrote:

Here in southeastern PA, it is best sited along a south facing wall. Out in the open yard it has died back, but along the south wall it grows to 6-8' each year, then cut back to 4' in spring. Nice red flowers - BUT, if the flowers are opening during cloudy weather, or if planted in too much shade, they can be off-color (some white florets).

On Sep 19, 2007, wrightie from Metro DC, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Mine does not bloom until August / September.

On Apr 23, 2007, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Withstands Alabama heat and humidity. A traffic stopper in the summertime.

On Aug 8, 2006, DayBloomer from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have seen this plant growing in Virginia and it was starting to bloom white, like it is reverting back or something.

On Jun 7, 2006, Cactuseater from Austin, TX wrote:

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Dynamite and Red Rocket varieties? My father in-law really likes the red crepe myrtles, and we're getting them for him on father's day. He's pretty particular, though. Most important to him is probably the color. Is one of these more of a "true red" than the other?
If anyone knows, I'd really appreciatre it. Thanks!

On Jan 13, 2004, Kachinagirl from Modesto, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hey Carolmac7, be sure to update us on how it does with humidity. Here in CA humidity is low so I don't have problems with powdery mildew. I bought 2, a multi branch and a standard. My other lagers are 'Indian Tribes' varieties, hybridized for disease and pest resistance. Finally, a red lager that is red-red, not orange-red! And the blooms are large! Now......if the hybridizers would only come out with a dwarf (24"), evergreen, red-leaved, white-flowering plant.............

On Jan 13, 2004, carolmac7 from Lake Charles, LA wrote:

Beautiful red full flowering with dark green foilage...planted 20 down the driveway with great success.
Our only regret is that this one loses its foilage earlier than other varieties.
Projected height 12 to 15 ft. We planted them 12 ft apart.
Very hardy in our area.