PlantFiles: Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle
Lagerstroemia indica 'Peppermint Lace'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Peppermint Lace
Additional cultivar information: (PP3169)
Hybridized by O. F. Spring; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1970

» View all varieties of Crepe Myrtles

Good Fall Color

Provides winter interest

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings
From hardwood heel cuttings
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel
By air layering

By EmmaGrace
Thumbnail #6 of Lagerstroemia indica by EmmaGrace

By Dave67
Thumbnail #7 of Lagerstroemia indica by Dave67

Positive grovespirit On Sep 8, 2012, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Gorgeous plant, and mine have not had any problems with aphids or mildew (so far). Needs more constant, attentive care than ordinary crepemyrtles do because it is more heat and drought sensitive than other crepemyrtles.
I have a five year old, six foot tall one thriving- covered in blooms. Growing in partial shade.

Positive GardenDolly On Jun 15, 2010, GardenDolly from Orange City, FL wrote:

I got my Peppermint Lace off the curb! The gardener was in her front yard and I asked why she was discarding them. She said "They just never did much." And they did look pathetic. I took them home, seriously cut back the branches and roots, planted them, and gave them careful attention, adequate water and food. They are healthy and blooming five years later! They are prone to mildew and aphids which were easily controlled.

Neutral Joan On Oct 25, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3169 has expired
Positive Ivyq On Sep 12, 2006, Ivyq from Lapine, AL wrote:

I fell in love with Crepe Myrtles as a young girl.My grandfather had his long driveway lined with all different colors.This was in Gainesville Fl.
I live in LaPine Al and the first tree I planted was a Myrtle.We purchased the pepermint Lace from Home Depot.My husband saw it first. We have left it in it's pot and on the deck to enjoy.
It has finished blooming and I'm ready to plant in the yard.
Hope mine doesn't die.Will keep you updated.
Ivy Q

Positive EmmaGrace On Sep 3, 2006, EmmaGrace from Jacksonville, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My Peppermint Lace is now three years old and growing taller each year. Moved it last fall and this year it grew to about 5'. FULL of Beautiful Blooms. I hope my good luck holds as this is a beautiful Crape Myrtle. Also, some of the blooms this year were a BRIGHT RED.
Emma

Negative MitchF On Jul 19, 2006, MitchF from Lindsay, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had 7 of these die here and one in OKC - all with water and in places new crepes have now grown to love. These are a very bad crepe if you want one to stay in your yard year after year.

Negative crowellli On Jul 19, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've tried growning this plant 3 different times and can't seem to get it to thrive. They look fine for the first couple of years, then die for no apparent reason, practically overnight. I have no problem with othe crepes and don't know if the problem is that this cultivar isn't as tough as others or if it just can't take our high heat and humidity. I won't be buying any more of these as three attempts is my limit on trying to get anything to grow!

Positive QueenB On Sep 30, 2004, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My first bicolor, and I love it! I have noticed that there tends to be less white picotee the longer it blooms. Flowers tend to be pinker towards the end of it's blooming period.

Positive vossner On Jun 17, 2004, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I think this is one of the prettiest c.m. i've ever seen. The white edging on the flower is really noticeable. I bought three 2 years ago and growing well. Planted hibiscus Edna Boegert under c.m. and talk about good looking! Have had no problems w/ mildew or aphids. Was hoping to buy more but have never seen it again.

I have changed my rating to neutral because one of my 3 plants suddenly died. POW, just like that--overnight. When I commented about it, I learned others have experienced the same. Maybe some lucky gardeners will get to read this BEFORE they buy this plant.

I have two left. If they die, I will be changing my rating to negative.

Rating changed to negative. Another tree succumbed to I don't know what in just a matter of days. There are many other cultivars that are way more reliable than PL. Don't waste your money on this cultivar.

UPDATE. May 2012: I discovered automated sprinkler was overwatering and therefore rotting my plants. Once this was corrected CM have performed very well.

Positive mike54 On Feb 15, 2004, mike54 from Coushatta, LA wrote:

Very beautiful. Somewhat slow growing for a crepe myrtle. I planted 8 about 9 years ago, then realized four years later that I needed three more. Easily started from softwood cuttings. The new ones are about ten feet tall, the older ones are about 12 to 14 feet tall. They are somewhat susceptible to mildew and aphid attack, both easily controlled. The blooms start late--about late July to August. But the blooming period lasts almost until frost. The leaves turn a beautiful golden yellow. Likes water in early years. Loves full sun.

Lapine, Alabama