Japanese Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle 'Tonto'

Lagerstroemia x fauriei

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Species: x fauriei (FAU-ree-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Tonto

Smiths, Alabama

Chino Valley, Arizona

Chowchilla, California

South Windsor, Connecticut

Cape Coral, Florida (2 reports)

Dunnellon, Florida

Coppell, Texas

Joshua, Texas

Fairfax, Virginia

On Mar 12, 2014, Osmantha from Marietta, GA wrote:

This is one of the best crepe myrtles ever. The shape is very nice, very full, and the flowers never disappoint. Mine is about 15 years old, and is at least 15' tall, maybe 20. I pruned out the side branches for a few years, but have not pruned, fertilized, or watered it for at least 10 years. Yet it flowers away, year after year. It grew very fast and has one of the nicest colors of any crepe myrtle.

On Jul 28, 2013, sosueme from Fairfax, VA wrote:

Planted a 8-ft specimen (B&B) from a local nursery last year and had outstanding blooms. This year, nothing and no sign of buds. Plant gets full sun all day since it's in an east-west exposure. Local nursery said it takes time to acclimate to its new environment and suggested putting phosphorous down now (2 cups) to promote flowers next year. Looking for anyone who has had similar results. Tree is in Northern Virginia.

On Oct 5, 2012, jjh422d from South Windsor, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

My garden is in zone 6. In recent years garden catalogs have advertised "Tonto" crape myrtles as being hardy for our area, so I took a chance a few years back. I have always admired mature crape myrtles that I have seen while traveling down south.

Here in Connecticut, mine dies back to the ground every year, but so far has managed to survive the winters. However it takes quite awhile to get going in the spring and is one of the last plants to wake up in my yard. It manages to put out flowers too before the first frost (usually in October) and the flowers are as pretty as on any crape myrtle. However, because it dies back every year, I cannot get it to grow into a tree shape, and as a shrub it does not bring much to the landscape. Its shape is very open, and the branches ... read more

On Aug 6, 2012, RBKB444 from Lansing, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

After seeing these down south I just had to have one of these. I planted it in the ground two years ago and it is doing great. I do give it winter protection, a plastic greenhouse with a heat lamp inside. As a result I have not had any die back and it is forming woody stems. This year it has grown to five feet tall and it is loaded with blossoms.

On Jul 3, 2012, HL_Nursery777 from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a red flowering Crepe Myrtle that is a Simi-Dwarf, reaching only a hight of about 10- 12 feet. Easy to grow and is fast growing. You can find these at almost any garden center or nursery for cheap. If you need to quick fix a bad landscape, these do the job! I have one of these and it's doing great with Florida's Heat Waves. Just watch out for aphids and severe drought, they tend to weaken the tree. And spread the word, don't Crepe Murder!

Happy Gardening,

On May 31, 2011, gram_pat from Benton, LA wrote:

I have three of these growing in my yard. Relatively quick-growing and beautiful pink blossoms. Takes the Louisiana heat and humidity like a champ!

On May 8, 2008, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

it is a decent plant. I think for warmer climates where it can survive above ground, it provides decent flowers though there would be others I would plant there though. i never noticed mildew where i grew it among crowded perennials. It survived here as a grow back shrub after lows near -22 for several days in the winter of 08-09. It grows back to flower again as a 3-4 footer come late summer.

On Jan 2, 2008, springrunfarm from Coatesville, PA wrote:

Beautiful fuschia-red flowers in late July, Aug, and Sept. No dieback here in southeast PA, but i do have it on the south side of my house. I have seen some specimens locally in excess of 15' tall. Japanese beetle can be a problem for crapes: Bayer tree and shrub has worked wonderfully!

On Oct 9, 2007, rbowden from Manhattan, KS wrote:

I have four of these on the west side of my house where they get the winter wind and the summer heat in zone 5. I've had them for two years and both winters they died back almost to the ground. In the spring, growth started slow, but eventually got four to six feet tall. The foliage is strong and healthy. In late August, the plants burst into bloom with a profusion of glorious dark pink blooms covering the bushes. It is the prettiest sight in my neighborhood. Plants are incredibly heat tolerant and vigorous.