PlantFiles: Japanese Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle
Lagerstroemia x fauriei 'Zuni'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Species: x fauriei (FAU-ree-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Zuni

By air layering

By rparker2
Thumbnail #1 of Lagerstroemia x fauriei by rparker2

Positive Gracye On Jul 29, 2012, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

I bought mine at a local nursery two years ago, as a very small bush. It has grown about a foot since. The first year, it struggled with powdery mildew and black spot. It was stressed when I bought it, and was acting honestly.

This year, I am spraying it occasionally, the leaves are glossy, NOT diseased, and it is in bloom. I alternate seaweed and fish extract fertilizers. I like the dark purple blooms better than Muscogee, which I also have.
All in all, I will try to get some more of this variety, and will be prepared for the first year of struggle.

Positive NYCtropics On Apr 7, 2012, NYCtropics from New York, NY wrote:

Nice blooms on this crape, but my problem with it is that (in my experience) it has been VERY late to leaf out and bloom. Last year it was the last plant to leaf out in the area, it leafed out later than all the other crapes. I thought it was dead. It didnt bloom until early August and then Hurricane Irene did a number on it and many of the blooms fell off.

Its definitely not my favorite crape myrtle, but its the one that I got! It doesnt grow too fast which is actually a positive for me since I have it in a spot near a lot of sun loving plants that I do not want to get shaded out. All in all not a bad Crape Myrtle. Definitely hardy here in my zone 7b.

Positive DisHammerhand On Aug 18, 2010, DisHammerhand from Fontana, CA wrote:

Nice shade of purple. One of the darker ones. The flowers fade a bit when it's very hot but the color is still pleasing.

Performs very well in inland California.

Positive pb09 On Dec 18, 2007, pb09 from Portland, OR wrote:

Excellent Crapemyrtle for my area (Willamette Valley, OR) blooms
late July to Sept. Flowers fade less than 'Catawba'. Orange/red fall
color is spectacular too.

Prattville, Alabama
Fontana, California
East Haddam, Connecticut
Homosassa, Florida
Cleveland, Mississippi
Staten Island, New York
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Kerrville, Texas