Lucky Bamboo, Ribbon Plant, Ribbon Dracaena
Dracaena braunii 'Borinquensis'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: braunii (BRAUN-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Borinquensis
Additional cultivar information:(Variegated Form)
Synonym:Dracaena sanderiana
Synonym:Pleomele braunii
Synonym:Pleomele sanderiana

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Pale Yellow

St John, Virgin Islands

Lakewood, Washington

negative

On Sep 23, 2010, jskyieeyes3 from Saint Cloud, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

i started off with a small triple of this plant last spring. it has grown about 4 inches since then and was doing really well. a few months ago though, i had noticed wooly aphids inside the tops of the new growth, and went on a squishing rampage. after about 2 weeks, i was sure i had eradicated every last aphid. (i did however treat with systemic as a precaution, and have still been doing random bug checks.) ever since then though, my sanderiana looks like it has seen better days.. the leaves have been browning and falling off, the new growth was still coming in vigorously, but now that has come to a halt. i'm unsure if it's "kicking the bucket" or if it's still saveable. i've adored and enjoyed this plant since i got it. a fellow gardening friend gave me a cutting of his, and i put it in ... read more

On Jan 8, 2009, nana10 from Saugus, MA wrote:

I started with 3 stalks, have since cut them many times to keep them manageable. I melted candle wax on the top cut, then rooted the other end in water. I have taken the top two inches of leaves off and placed them in water, they grow nicely. I am hoping to start another container soon. I grow them in a southern window and feed about every other month very lightly with Miracle Grow. I also change the water about once a month, by pouring out most of the water then adding more to cover the rocks. Good luck.

On Mar 5, 2008, spiketyson from Kansas City, MO wrote:

I have this plant in my office it has direct light approximately 15 hours a day, I water the plant every other week it has grown taller than I expected. I love this plant because of the low maintenance. I rarely have to cut the leafs off because of disease or bugs actually it does not have any bugs that I see.

However, at this point I'm not sure what to do with since it's thriving very nicely without any help from me it sits on top of a credenza and it has reached the ceiling.

On Sep 29, 2007, KDot_N_DallasTx from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have 9 of these plants. All were gift while I've been in and out the hospital. They are so easy to take care of and I love to see them grow. Not only that, they are gorgeous decorations in my house in the different and colorful decorative ceramic containers. I have one of them in soil and water in a tall vase, and the rest in ceramic containers with rocks and water. They all seem to do very very well either way. When I change the water in the ones with rocks, I change the water every month or so, and just add water when needed in between. I don't take the rocks out (because I noticed this disturbed the roots and actually hurt the plants), but what I do is pour filtered water into the container and let the water pour out the sides. Then tip the container to the side and let the water dra... read more

On May 25, 2007, drekadair from Wilsonville, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought one of these in a tiny, three-inch ceramic pot from Walgreens several years ago. It has since outgrown that pot and has recently sent up a number of new shoots. Even though my cats and I abuse it horribly, it still flourishes. A very hardy little houseplant. I have it rooted in gravel, not soil, and keep the pot filled to just below the surface of the gravel with water (any higher and I get mosquitos!), and it is growing in a north-facing window. The tips of the leaves have been yellowing, so I have given it some nitrogen in the hopes that will fix the problem. The only thing I dislike about this plant is that it doesn't grow in Oregon.

On Nov 29, 2005, lolly_braine from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

My husband was sold this plant as an aquarium plant. When I couldn't find it in my encyclopedia of aquarium plants, I looked online. Apparently, it is fairly common to sell terrestrial plants to naive aquarium owners. I will remove the plants and try growing them as house plants!

On Oct 4, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant, I have 3 stems at home, I turn the pot just a wee bit everyday, so it keeps its spiral look, I particularly like the way yours looks just like a basket, very very nice, thanks for sharing.

On Aug 4, 2004, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grow this in my outdoor garden year round in Sebring, Florida ...although if we get a freeze it dies back somewhat, therefore I gave it a zone 10 hardiness rather than zone 9b. I have been able to root both stem tip cuttings (about 6 inches or so of stem) and sections of stems (6 to 10) inches long, and rooting worked either in water or soil. If you root these in water, be patient, as it can take 2 months or more before you see signs of new growth from tiny axillary buds (strip off the sheathing bases of the old leaves when rooting cuttings) at the upper one or two nodes of the stem section. The results are a nice variegated 'lucky bamboo' that can be maintained as a houseplant in water, or planted in soil for either an indoor plant or in a subtropical to tropical moist shady garden a... read more

On Dec 15, 2002, eloopj from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant should be kept warm, between 72 and 82F. Sanderina does best in bright indirect or curtain-filtered sunlight. Keep soil moist at all times BUT do not let pots stand in water. Feed monthly with 20-20-20.