Desert Petunia, Florida Bluebells, Mexican Petunia, Mexican Blue Bells 'Katie'

Ruellia tweediana

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ruellia (roo-EL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: tweediana (twee-dee-AH-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Katie
Additional cultivar information:(aka Katy, Nolan's Dwarf)
Synonym:Ruellia brittoniana

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Dothan, Alabama

Mc Kinney, Texas

Missouri City, Texas

New Caney, Texas

Portland, Texas

Rowlett, Texas (2 reports)

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Santa Fe, Texas

On Nov 16, 2015, siege2055 from Stilwell, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This one self sows a lot, I have them coming up all over my porch in the cracks between the boards, and in my other potted tropicals as the seedpods are explosive. I have also collected and tested the seed and they germinate very easily, I have not grown any of the seedlings large enough yet to determine if they are going to be dwarf or revert back to the taller form, but in warmer places Katie could be invasive if it reverts, judging by all the seedlings I have all over the place. Here I doubt the smaller seedlings will make it through the winter, but we shall see. If the seedlings grow true, then yay! I will have hundreds of them. I am going to start a tray of 72 seedlings this spring to see what happens, I will update this when I find out as I am sure others would like to know, but afte... read more

On Apr 30, 2011, txsage from Katy, TX wrote:

This one grows like a weed - healthy and blooming most of the time, Houston heat and cold tolerant. Freeze kills foliage, but not roots, comes back every year, often in new places.

On Nov 18, 2007, Riverland from Northeast, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I absolutely love this plant stays contained in clumps for me. This is not the mexican Petunia that is considered invasive , It does not develop seed and throw them all around like it's tall cousin.
Vossner I'll take your excess. Trades well cause it travels well. Vossner sent me white and it pouted a day or two and recovered to its beauty.

On May 26, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant annoys me sometimes because it does spread; however, they are very easy to remove at any stage of growth.

Excellent for front of border, fillling bare spots, container gardening

On May 24, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Recently I acquired "Katie Bluebells" from an aquatic
plant source. It was thriving in a shallow pond, so I found
it odd that information above mentions not to overwater it.

The plants were all blooming and beautiful, sitting in
tight little pots of kitty litter in a short few inches of water.

The plants I purchased, brought home and stuck into the
pond are doing quite well.

For those concerned with it's 'invasive' qualities, it can always
be planted in pots, or in pot-in-pot designs in the ground. Very
easy to solve.

On Jun 13, 2006, MizCharlie from Winter Garden, FL wrote:

I tried to add a note regarding the danger of this plant. Here's what the Florida Dept of Ag says about it:

"Mexican petunia has been designated by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council as a Category I invasive plant. That means it has the ability to displace native plant species so as to alter native plant communities. While it is not illegal to plant it, unintended consequences can last for ever."

On Jul 16, 2004, cheryldawn from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I live in lakeland Florida. I bought a pink Mexican petunia four years ago . It's now almost 2 1/2 foot high. I have 13 plants now from cuttings and some from little baby plants that came from it. It must be the less invasive variety as mine has little cane like stems and are compact and very
attractive and tropical looking where as my sisters are on long grass like stems and they spread all over.
I live in Florida where it gets hot and humid and lots of plants get cooked in the summer. This plant just blooms spring till summer and nothing seems to bother it. I've never had a plant bring me so much happiness.
I bought two purples ones a few weeks ago at Home depot, but don't know if they're dwarfs or going to get 2 1/2 foot tall like my pink ones or not. It didn't ... read more

On Mar 11, 2004, sweezel from McKinney, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Much more interesting and much less invasive than the other cultivars. I planted my transplant in May and it had expanded to at least twice it's original size by frost so it is good for filling in spots quickly. Also, it is very easily divided if it spreads out because the stalks pull up separately. Also comes in white or pink blooming varieties.

On Sep 26, 2003, CDauphinet from New Iberia, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

It's easy to divide and share this plant: pull the extra stems off, making sure there's a bit of root attached. Just stick it in the ground - very easy to grow. I also have the pink and grows just as well!

On Sep 25, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

"Katie" is sometimes called Nolan's dwarf. Shortly after Lynn R. Lowrey, a well known Houston horticulturalist and collector (considered to be the founder of the native plant movement in Texas) sold his nursery in Conroe, Texas, to his friend Katie Fergerson, two employees, Herbert Durand and Nolan Guillot, discovered a short growing natural hybrid Ruellia. After it was brought to Lowreys attention, he began testing, cultivating, sharing and promoting it after naming it after his friend. Both Katie Fergerson and Lynn Lowery are now deceased, but their contributions to horticultural endeavors live on.

It is a plant which forms clumps 6-10" tall and 12" wide, it is a super border and/or ground cover plant which begins blooming profusely in mid-summer to late summer and conti... read more