PlantFiles: Cranesbill
Geranium x cantabrigiense 'Biokovo'

Family: Geraniaceae (jer-ay-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geranium (jer-AY-nee-um) (Info)
Species: x cantabrigiense (kan-tuh-brij-ee-EN-see) (Info)
Cultivar: Biokovo

Thumbnail #6 of Geranium x cantabrigiense by victorgardener

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Geranium x cantabrigiense by DaylilySLP

Positive coriaceous On Oct 18, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Like all G. x cantabrigiense cultivars, this is an excellent groundcover. Not pretty in the winter here in Z6a Boston, because the stems and aboveground rhizomes live through the winter bare of foliage.

I like the foliage fragrance, but not everyone does.

I find 'Biokovo' to be indistinguishable from 'St. Ola', which is claimed to be an improvement.

Positive Colibritaquin On May 23, 2014, Colibritaquin from St-Jacques, NB

Only to say that I have this geranium in North-western New Brunswick, Canada [Canadian Hardiness Zone 3A] , just across the border from Madawaska, ME 04756 [USA HZ: Zone 4a: (-30F to -25F)]. I point out, though, that we do get colder nights, down to -40 C/F.

Happy gardening, and...
Get some dirt under your fingernails !

Colibritaquin

Positive dahlia10 On Aug 6, 2011, dahlia10 from Ottawa

I really like this plant! No pests,great fragrance and so cute flowers! The smell reminds me of lemon soda!
Very lovely and trouble free.Flowering period is too short for my taste!

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jun 9, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Definitely hardy to zone 4a, and a great performing perennial. Works where nothing else will on a steep hill in dry shade. I planted Biokovo and Karmina together, and they have worked so well that I keep pulling up pieces and starting new plantings of them in various places around my yard. You can't help developing a real affection for this reliable and easy-care perennial.

Positive suguy On May 29, 2011, suguy from Simi Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A stand-out Hardy Geranium that does very well here in Southern California.
It blooms very early here -- in March it is in full flower.

Likes it on the moist side.

Positive SnappyPants On May 12, 2011, SnappyPants from Sisseton, SD wrote:

I just divided my original plant, bought in 2006, into 6 plants which I spread among several new beds on our property. This neatly mounded plant's foliage is attractive and fragrant. In late
Spring, I love the dainty flowers rising above the dome of leaves as if trying to escape. Best of all, this plant is not bothered at all by slugs or rabbits. It's a win-win!

Positive marsinger4 On Apr 6, 2011, marsinger4 from Atlanta, GA wrote:

I keep it in containers on my balcony, which is shaded part of the day. It starts blooming as early as late March and doesn't stop till fall, and while it doesn't bloom in the winter, it does stay green and cheerful! Doesn't seem to be bothered by anything--heat, humidity, lack of water, cats--so for me, its just about perfect.

Positive rabbitsdiner On Dec 29, 2010, rabbitsdiner from Carmel, IN wrote:

I love this plant. I have a nice clump in full sun, amended clay.
Each year I divide it; planting it's many little progeny in dry shade, to serve as a groundcover replacing my vast mulch beds.They are filling in nicely. This is a tough spot. Many plants that are somewhat deer and rabbit proof and not bothered by them in my other beds, get ravaged in this area.(It's by a nature preserve.) They don't touch 'Biokovo'.The foliage has such a lovely fragrance. I like to break off a leaf to carry with me, enjoying the fragrance as I garden. I recently read that if you cut it back in early summer, it will bloom again in the fall. I'll have to try it on some of mine. I'd love to have more of those lovely pink and white blooms in the fall.

Positive NancyMcD On Jun 30, 2010, NancyMcD from Grand Marais, MI wrote:

This charming geranium spreads slowly and politely to form an almost weed-proof mat. Here in Zone 4/5, with sandy soil, maybe 2/3 of a day of sun, it's by no means invasive but is doing a fine job of filling the space I want filled. It's easily controlled if needed. Lovely little flowers. Deer don't touch it. Highly recommended.

Positive otter47 On Apr 10, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

If I could have only one "hardy geranium" in my garden, it would be "Biokovo". It is lovely to look at 12 months of the year.

Positive fel On Mar 27, 2010, fel from Wynnewood, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

For me in zone 6 it does very well -- grows in partial sun to shade, has reddish tinged foliage certain times of the year, good fragrance and masses of pinkish white small flowers. Unlike other geraniums I have tried, it doesn't seem to mind dry conditions -- even dry shade. It spreads in my garden a lot, so I am always trying to give cuttings to friends and neighbors.

Positive Conquered_MS On Feb 4, 2009, Conquered_MS from Preston, MD wrote:

I kind of "inherited" this plant or I probably wouldn't have it. It didn't appeal to me at first, but once it grew those lovely dark green mounds and came into full bloom, it was very impressive!

But the thing I like best about this plant ? . . . the wonderful, spicy FRAGRANCE! The blooms last for about a month, but the fragrance of the leaves lasts all through the growing season! I love to stroke the leaves to release the fragrance whenever I pass by; the fragrance takes my cares away! I will often take a leaf and rub it on my skin to keep the fragrance with me for hours.

This has become one of my favorite perennials. Give it a chance; you may find the same.

Positive ifonly On Jun 20, 2008, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

This is the perfect perennial - long bloom period, lots & lots of blooms, pretty foliage, and great spreader, while easy to contain. Great for front edge of the border or at the foot of shrubs.

A favorite vignette - Festive Maxima peony, Siberian iris, lamb's ear, and Biokova geranium.

Swoon

Positive Malus2006 On Jun 2, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Straight zone 4a hardy too - will grow in a groundcover - the main problem is that it is really ugly during early spring. The flowers will make up for that ugliness by blooming like crazy. Seem to have very little roots, mainly aboveground rhizomes - makes for a interesting experience when transplanting them but most of them surivive transfers to other areas of the yard. Will grow in woodland shade but won't flower and spread slowly so their best is partial shade where most other geranium species and hybrids won't grow except for the native geranium of the Eastern United States and its allies which would bloom in woodland shade. The other geranium species and hybrids tend to prefer more sun - at least 4 to 6 hours or more - I have tried several in more shade conditions but they kept dying after a few years. Biokovo will do well in at little as 2 to 3 hours of direct sun.

Positive TBGDN On May 18, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

A super hardy, quick growing and abundantly blooming plant. It is probably my best geranium for overall garden performance. The leaves stay green almost year round, with fresh growth beginning in early March. It blooms profusely over a thirty day period beginning in late May well into June. Although listed as spreading 18", mine has spread out over 30" in all directions.

Neutral BUFFY690 On Apr 12, 2006, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have added a few of these plants in my containers for this year (to be added into the garden in the fall). I came across this perennial geranium on my order list at work and had to give it a looksie. From the pics I have made a wise and beautiful choice for the future of my garden. I also love the fragrance of the foilage. A bit pungent but the deer should not like it.

Positive hawallace On Jul 14, 2005, hawallace from Austin, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Grows very well in zone 4b. I have two 'Biokovo' plants that have been through two southern MN winters and are thriving. The plants have not received any pampering. I believe in survival of the fittest in my garden. I like the shape and size of the plant as well as the prolific flowering. The flowers seemed a little plain to me when the plants first started blooming, but the number of blooms and the overall habit of the plant won me over.

Positive JoleneS On Jun 9, 2005, JoleneS from Centerville, UT (Zone 6a) wrote:

This lovely plant is a mass of white flowers with pink centers. It gets a lot of shade in my garden and holds its own very well on a steep slope in sandy soill.

Auburn, California