Golden Shower Tree, Purging Cassia, Golden Chain Tree, Indian Laburnum
Cassia fistula

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cassia (KASS-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: fistula (FIST-yoo-luh) (Info)
Synonym:Bactyrilobium fistula
Synonym:Cassia bonplandiana
Synonym:Cassia fistuloides
Synonym:Cassia rhombifolia
Synonym:Cathartocarpus excelsus

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Scarify seed before sowing

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Grenoble,

Mulberry, Florida

Naples, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida (3 reports)

Tampa, Florida

Wauchula, Florida

Honomu, Hawaii

Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi

Maben, Mississippi

Brick, New Jersey

Dayton, Ohio

Okatie, South Carolina

Brownsville, Texas (2 reports)

Hallettsville, Texas

Puyallup, Washington

On May 25, 2015, sofiaporto from Okatie, SC wrote:

Hello Dave,
I live in Bluffton, SC.
I have a young cassia tree that died last winter (and to my great surprise) came back and is growing now a couple of feet. Where he lives, I have some bushes around and has not much sun. I would like to transplanting it to a better location. i have a couple of questions.

1. Shall I remove some boxwoods and bushes to let the sun come to and shine on the tree?
2. Shall I remove the tree to a sunny location somewhere else in the garden?
3. Shall i move the boxwoods to another location and leave the tree where it is?

I don't want to lose the tree. Please tell me what is the best option for me to do.
Thank you very much.

On Mar 16, 2015, blugoose from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

We bought this house here in St Pete, Fl over 25 years ago now. We got a fully mature Golden Shower tree with the house. It is still a huge showoff and brings admirers to our yard with cameras. It is outside our privacy fence and the boughs hang over our small pool which makes for a lovely dip! The blooms seem to last a very long time and the scent seems to me similar to star jasmine drifting in from a distance. I have never grown one from seed but have passed along pods to anyone who asks. It doesn't seem to mind when you trim it, either. The city did a butcher job a few years ago while putting in new electric poles and wires. I was livid but she survived and is doing well. I have no idea how old this tree is or how long they live. Maybe forever??? We can only hope.

On Oct 11, 2014, anne32132 from Edgewater, FL wrote:

I had one of these beautiful trees as we refer to as the scrambled egg tree many years ago it was planted in my front yard until a big gust of wind came through and blew it over. I recently found a plant growing inmy front garden from which pods were found. Not knowing what this was I continue to watch it grow. I noticed it resembled the scrambled egg tree however leaves were much bigger than those of the older tree. I did notice
that under the larger leaves and pods were the smaller leaves with little blooms. I was happy to report that I have a scrambled egg tree growing in my yard with several pods collected to share with family and friends. I directly planted seeds into ground.I now have several baby cassia's planted in pots and in the ground in a wind safe area's.

On Aug 29, 2014, swingate from Wauchula, FL wrote:

We bought one from a local nursery about five years ago and it was blooming when it was planted. It hasn't bloomed since although this year it put on a lot of new growth. I wish some one could tell me how to make it bloom. I used a blooming fertilizer recommended by the nursery but no blooms. It's probably past blooming time now. What can I do. If anyone could help me I would be grateful.

On Jul 10, 2008, BrugDatLvr from Sanford, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

**Upon recent bloom, has become apparent that my particular plant is actually Senna Alata, Description moved to appropriate Plant File**

On Jun 21, 2007, SierraTigerLily from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have seen some beautiful specimens, easily twenty feet tall, growing in Palm Beach county, Florida. Does anyone know how easy they are to train? I'd like to make an arbor like the one posted in the pictures section for Laburnum Anagyroides. The Cassia trees appear brittle, so I'm not sure how easy it is to shape them.

On May 3, 2005, diana44 from Brick, NJ wrote:

I have had this tree for years, it seems to attract spider mites. It rarley has blooms and grows very, very slow. I live In New Jersey. I wonder if its get too cold in the winter for it. I see every one else that has had sucess lives in much warmer climates. Im going to load it up with miracid, maybe that will help.

On Feb 27, 2005, cheryldawn from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I see these trees all around where I live in Lakeland, Florida. I think they're beautiful.I aquired some seed to sow. But, I recently read on another forum that they often don't bloom when grown by seed. Something about it's gene pool and the odds would be like 1 out of a thousand grown by seed might bloom.
Does anyone know if that's true? I'd hate to grow some by seeds, only to find out a few years later that it's not ever going to bloom.
Thanks, Cheryldawn@tampadsl.net

On Nov 14, 2004, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

Cassia fistula , aka Golden Shower Tree is a tropical tree that grows from zones 9b and warmer. Both it and the similar-looking Laburnum anagyroides have hanging wisteria like blooms in beautiful yellows.

On Nov 13, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Not bad for an exotic. Nearby there is a boulevard with these planted all along it. It looked nice in the spring. They all bloomed at the same time. I seem to remember the bloom hit around april/mayish definitely not june or july as some of the nearby reports have indicated but I suppose that depends on the microclimate. They look like nice shade trees. Too bad no one showed a closeup of the bark or closeups of the leaves.

Gives florida some badly needed color. Don't get too excited though, the flowers only last about a week. A native alternative for someone living in Florida would be the redbud but those don't get as large.

On Jun 26, 2004, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have been driving past one of these trees on my way to work in St. Petersburg, FL, and the beautiful flowers recently made me notice it in detail. I decided to go by there on my day off and take some photos (uploaded to this site today).

St. Petersburg is often listed as Zone 9, but I have also seen us listed as Zone 10, and I believe perhaps "Zone 9b."

The tree I photographed is about 20 feet tall and also had numerous seed pods on it. Since one pod was laying on the ground outside the owner's fence, I "rescued" it and brought it home to see if I can grow the seeds!

Took me a while to figure out what this tree was called, but since I had recently learned about the Royal Poinciana tree (Delonix regia) (a tree with vaguely similar seed pods a... read more

On May 6, 2004, nature_girl from Singapore
wrote:

I live in singapore and there are plenty of 'golden shower' trees growing here. when the flowers bloom, the golden shower looks spectacular, especially when it is covered with hanging bunches of yellow flowers. the golden shower is popular among butterflies and you can usually see one or two around a golden shower tree. the pods are long, green and sausage like, turning black with maturity. many can often be found hanging from a single tree. all in all, a beautiful plant good for decoration.

On Apr 26, 2004, desertboot from Bangalore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

It's working! A fistful of Cassia fistula seeds from a single pod collected in the wild in April 2003 sat dormant in a tray of sand, outdoors, watered...until last week. As an experiment, I:
a) sifted out the seeds
b) lightly nicked the hard outer seed-cases with a pair of nail-clippers, being very careful not to damage the embryos;
c) let the nicked seeds sit overnight in a cup of water; and
d) sowed the bloated up little fellas in a 50:50 combination of peat and sand in a seed tray the following morning.

That was on the April 20, 2004. Delighted to report that the tops of the seeds are just beginning to emerge from cover - a sure sign of rapid activity below? All this, happening in South India where the temp is around 34 degrees C.
... read more

On Apr 11, 2004, mike10012 wrote:

I bought a house two years ago with a Weeping Golden Chain Tree in the front yard. I have no idea how old it is but it stands about 3 feet high, and so far has not bloomed. It may be I don't get enough sun because of large street trees.

On Mar 28, 2004, BrendaJane from Louisville, KY wrote:

I bought a chain tree two years ago, and I'm not sure how old needs to be be before it starts blooming .

On Dec 28, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington

The tree resemblies a wisteria when in bloom, only in a nice yellow 1 foot hanging blooms that completely cover the entire tree. Makes a great tree for the late spring blooms that completely cover the tree. Is a small ornamental tree to about 20-25 foot tall at maturity.

On Dec 27, 2003, mfsander wrote:

I have recently moved to Honolulu, Hawaii (assigned to a military post... and military housing at Red Hill). I have a fully grown variant of the Golden Shower tree in my front yard.

On Jun 1, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Here in Rio de Janeiro we have some really big Cassia fistula. When they bloom, the ground gets covered with white petals and stamens. Although its a wonderful looking tree, it's not recomended for parking places (imagine it, you park your red car, and when you return, it's all yellow :^P)

On Jun 23, 2002, AustinBarbie from Harker Heights, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Cassia fistula (Golden Shower Tree or Purging Cassia) is a late spring to mid-summer bloomer (with the heaviest blooming in June) that puts on a massive golden yellow floral display. The fragrant flowers are very attractive to bees and butterflies. Cassia is a very large genus with about 500 species, the better known members of which are fine flowering trees. To many, the finest cassia is the fistula.

Cassia fistula is a legume, rated 30-40 feet and native to India and South Asia. Golden Shower is related to the Jerusalem Thorn Tree and redbud.

The foliage is medium green and compound providing a nice open, lacy look.

Flowers are light yellow hanging in groups almost 12 inches in length. This cassia is a summer bloomer starting as ... read more