Cupania, Carrotwood, Brush Deal, Tuckeroo
Cupaniopsis anacardioides

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cupaniopsis (ku-pan-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: anacardioides (an-a-kar-dee-OH-id-eez) (Info)

Inconspicuous/none

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Anaheim, California

Winnetka, California

Yorba Linda, California

Boca Raton, Florida

Melbourne, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Port Charlotte, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

League City, Texas

positive

On Apr 19, 2013, freedomfarmer from Boynton Beach, FL wrote:

i just noticed my chickens like the seeds that come out of the fruit!

has anyone out there ever had chickens feed on them?? any info if they are safe for them?

i imagine they are because chickens seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to edibles and non edibles

On Jul 6, 2011, ljb3762 from Van Nuys, CA wrote:

Everything written about this being a messy the tree is true. I imagine that it also spreads out of control in Florida. :-(

It also produces a lot of shade. :-) In the summer, when it's 100+/- degrees in the San Fernando Valley, it's feels about 20 degrees cooler under the carrot wood tree. We went to a pool party at a friend's home for the 4th of July. The entire yard was a concrete area around the pool which felt 20 degrees hotter than 100, EXCEPT in one corner where our friend's neighbor's carrot wood tree grew over the yard, and it was 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the concrete area. Everyone who could do so, put their chair under the carrot wood tree. We suffered for a few hours, then went home to lie under our own carrot wood tree.

On Apr 3, 2011, ggibbs1 from Redondo Beach, CA wrote:

Thanks to you guys I have determined what my tree is. My wife found some seeds one day telling me they were palm tree seeds. Anyway, I planted them in two corners of the yard hoping to obscure our neighbors view of our backyard someday. Well, it exceeded my expectations for obscurity but most certainly is not a palm tree. It is a beautiful tree but I was unaware of its pervasiveness. I am in southern California and as far as I know it is not banned here yet. Like all of you said, the animals love it. They are both at least 20 feet tall and that was achieved in just 4 years, amazing!

On May 30, 2010, karenandal from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

Wow, thank you everyone. I just have one in my yard. The wild birds love it..I did not know it was so hated or dangerous. It was here when we moved in.

On Oct 28, 2009, JCasey from Yorba Linda, CA wrote:

Dangerous.
The seed pods are so heavy they break the branches.
Messy.
The seeds are everywhere and will ruin your lawn.
Birds love the seeds. The cars are all covered with bird s___.

On Jan 23, 2006, CindyDale from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Yep, it's invasive in Florida. I have one that popped up and embedded itself in a fence.

On May 18, 2005, jnana from South Florida, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This tree was widely planted in my area and quickly it became a pest. Birds spread the seeds all over. I must have removed countless seedlings from my yard. It grows very fast and in no time there can be a full size Carrotwood growing in one's yard. It is listed as a Category I of highly invasive trees by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council.
It should not be planted in Florida.

On Jan 20, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Carrotwood or Brush Deal (Cupaniopsis anacardioides) is a highly invasive and weedy tree in central and southern Florida and the Keys (zones 9a through 11). It spreads rapidly by many, many seeds (dispersed by birds to natural areas and natural habitats) that are dispersed far from the mature, seed-producing tree to other areas where they may grove and quickly choke out surrounding vegetation in natural areas and habitats and disturbed areas. The mature tree produces highly invasive orangish seeds (small and green when not ripe) that are dispersed by birds and wildlife to locations and natural areas nearby as well as very far distances from the seed-producing tree, and where they are dispersed, if not controlled, they grow extremely fast into mature trees and push out surrounding (includin... read more

On Feb 21, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Carrotwood is listed as a Category I Exotic Pest Plant in the state of Florida. The DEP has identified it as Noxious.

DO NOT PLANT THIS IN CENTRAL OR SOUTH FLORIDA.

On Feb 20, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Used commonly in Southern California as a avenue and landscape tree. Looks a bit like a Macadamia nut tree. Makes a nice globular sillohuette- neat tree.