PlantFiles: Woodland Passion Flower, Passionflower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora morifolia

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: morifolia (mor-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Passiflora bryonioides

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Purple

By DaveH
Thumbnail #6 of Passiflora morifolia by DaveH

By Clare_CA
Thumbnail #7 of Passiflora morifolia by Clare_CA

Positive mjsponies On Aug 9, 2010, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have this and was trying to identify it but at first assumed that it wasn't this because of the height in the PlantFiles notes above.
This is a small passionflower, which get's at most to 6 feet. Mine is blooming and it's just 2 -3 feet at most in a 1 gallon pot.
Nice little Passion Flower with a pretty little bloom. Best in a pot on a Patio or inside, as out in bigger spaces it may be overlooked.

don't know how to correct the height issue in the Plantfiles but it is wrong.

Positive MTVineman On May 3, 2009, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Wow, people don't seem to have much good to say about this vine. On the other hand, I do! It is an easily grown vine and I find it extremely beautiful as I do almost all plants. Yes, the flowers are small on this vine but they are intoxicatingly fragrant, at least for me and I love that. The vine will produce fruit as well. I hand pollinate mine and sometimes I like to transfer pollen from one Passiflora species to another, just to see what happens. Hoping to create some funky hybrid I guess. I do specialize in vines and especially Passiflora and Tacsonia so perhaps I am biased towards these plants. I have this vine growing in a southwest facing window and it has climbed all over the drapery and around the window. The flowers are small but intricate and beautiful. Highly fragrant as stated above and also produces fruit which is edible as far as I know. I've eaten it with no ill effects. This plant is easy to propagate by cuttings. I grow this inside but have taken it outside for the summer months and it seems to enjoy this immensely too.

Neutral TomH3787 On Aug 28, 2006, TomH3787 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I think mfd's comment above is about Passiflora incarnata. :-)

P. morifolia has grown quickly from a seedling this spring and has been blooming well in the heat. It's formed lots of fruits too. However, the flowers are small and not very colorful. Really not all that interesting.

Neutral BDunn On Aug 19, 2006, BDunn from Sunset Beach, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have one growing now that I planted near a window thinking I would be able to watch a trailing vine with pretty flowers. Turns out the flowers are very small and not showy at all. It has grown leaps and bounds, but I wouldn't use it again. It's now developing fruit that I don't think I'll try to eat and if it's pods I don't care to have seeds.

Positive mfd On Jul 23, 2004, mfd from Montrose, AR wrote:

I live in south eastern Arkansas. I have known about this plant sence I was just a child, now 44 I recieved a book on medicinal plants and our P morifolia was in it! It can be used as a sleep aid or a seditive, the fruit is ediable The fruit when green is tangy and when rippened it is a delight. The florial is used as a seditive. I am sitting here with one now. It grows very well here along roads and out in fields and pastures in thick vines some growing as tall as a tree their fruits hanging like small green watermellons. When we were children we were told they were May Pops and were poison, now I know why. It was the florial, some people are alergic to it and as I said befor it is a sleep aid and seditive used in to big a dose it can make you very ill, vomiting, spontanious sleeping, head ache. It grows here from early spring till late autume flowering and produceing fruit all summer long. A very productive plant.

Montrose, Arkansas