PlantFiles: Red Passion Flower, Red Passionflower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora manicata

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: manicata (mah-nuh-KAH-tuh) (Info)

Synonym:Passiflora rhodantha

Thumbnail #6 of Passiflora manicata by RichSwanner

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Passiflora manicata by palmbob

Positive emLynda On Jul 3, 2013, emLynda from Gainesville, FL wrote:

I love this vigorous and fast growing flowering vine. It does very well in Gainesville, Florida in partial shade. It can really take over the area it is grown in, but I love the natural jungle-like feeling it gives.

Neutral macybee On Jun 23, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted a piece of the red passion flower in my garden and it took several years to bloom. It is a go-getter now.
MIxed with purple passion flowers it is extra beautiful.
On information page it says bloom it pale yellow -white/near white. My red passion flower is RED.

Positive eengland On Aug 19, 2005, eengland from San Diego & San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Manicata did really well for us in Vista, California at the nursery I used to work at (zip 92084). I did not think it was a particularly sectacular or showy plant but other people thought it was AWESOME. Whatever. We had a speciment growing outdoors over a shade cloth and it attracted a lot of attention.

I see their point, though, it is bright red but has hardly any filaments at all. If you had never seen a passionflower before you would be wowed by this plant but when I would haul out the passionflower book or take them around the grounds to see the few dozen *orther* types of Passiflora, they usually opted for the other type.

The flowers ---It kinda opens so wide it almost turns itself inside out (not quite as much as a cyclamen but heading that way). It does fruit and I understand that we did get some fruit but I am not interested in this plant too much so I never ate it and I understand it is not *very* easy to get it to set fruit. I have seen many other specimens in the surrounding area (San Diego including my zip code 92116) and they do really well. I also have an apartment in San Francisco (92103) and it does really well as a *flower* (again, no fruit) and it commonly grown in San Francisco. According to a local nurseryman who used to talk to about passionfruits in the San Francisco Bay area, he had never seen them set fruit in San Francisco. I do not have a camera or I would post a picture but it is palmate leaved a little on the small and narrow side compared to other passions. The flowers are large under good cultivation and management and I undersatnd the fruits are rather elongated. Vigourous grower. As with all Passionflowers, do not grow these on canyons or other areas where they could (and will) escape into the valleys and possibly harm natie flora and/or fauna.

Alameda, California
San Francisco, California (2 reports)
Vista, California