Nepal Cinquefoil, Potentilla
Potentilla nepalensis 'Melton Fire'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Potentilla (poh-ten-TILL-uh) (Info)
Species: nepalensis (nap-ahl-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Melton Fire

Salt Lake City, Utah

Arlington, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

On Nov 21, 2010, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

I grew this from seed, and had about 90% germination. As a plant, it behaves very much like Alchemilla mollis: a mounded form with flowers that flop the side. Like Alchemilla, the leaves start looking crappy after flowering, so I cut the foliage down to the ground, and get a second flush of beautiful leaves.

On Jan 13, 2010, spurge0z from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

I have grown this plant as a ground cover for years. I started it from seed ( I am beginning to see it as a bedding plant with a few nurseries). I have had good luck with the plant. It grows a bit taller than I would like for a bedding plant, but find it reasonably long blooming and it can be trimmed in the fall to minimize the height (trimming after it buds out in the spring causes it to bloom quite late in the summer).
I have it as a large area ground cover and find that it spreads into the pea gravel area surrounding the bed I have it in. The new plants are easy to transplant.
I live in a somewhat difficult climate at the eastern base of the Rocky Mountain (Colorado Springs, CO), and am always pleased to find plants that do well in this climate.

On May 11, 2008, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

aka "light my fire"
This plants has lots of flowers- but they only show once a year and dont last long. the foiliage grows wild , tends to grown along the ground sends up shoots flopping all over the place- staking doesn't help- its just the plants growing habbits.
Overall it is quite messy looking. In my opinion the flowers are not worth the mess, i still keep it in my garden but have planted some shorter flowers in front to hide its messy foilage. this wasn't as much of a center peice as i expected.

On Mar 22, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Potentilla - 'MELTON FIRE' Cinquefoil. Short 12" - Plant 14" apart. Zone 5-8. Ruby red flowers with an apricot splash.

General Information:
Mounds of low maintenance strawberry-like foliage, lots of flowers in early summer continuing into fall. Divides easily in spring or early fall. Deer resistant. Not for Zones 3 & 4; may need to mulch or protect in Zone 5. Not for Gulf states.