PlantFiles: Blue Boy, Blue Glory, Clock Vine
Thunbergia battiscombei

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Thunbergia (thun-BER-jee-uh) (Info)
Species: battiscombei (bat-tis-COM-ee-eye) (Info)

Medium Blue

By onalee
Thumbnail #6 of Thunbergia battiscombei by onalee

By stetchworth
Thumbnail #7 of Thunbergia battiscombei by stetchworth

Positive cathy4 On Oct 17, 2011, cathy4 from St. Louis County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I received 3 starts in early spring. It grew like crazy once it warmed up here. I have it in a big pot and will overwinter it in a cool but sunny greenhouse, hopefully it will survive because the flowers really are blue, my favorite! If it makes it through the winter, I will be sharing next spring (2012)
BTW, the seeds are tiny, put a little silky bag over the developing pod if you want to collect them. When the small pod is ready, it explodes and the seeds fly all over. Very hard to collect if you don't have them bagged in advance.

Positive sunkissed On Jan 11, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I just love this plant, it is the cousin to the blue sky vine (Bengal clock vine), looks quite a bit like morning glory, but stays pretty much in its place. It will freeze to ground when temperatures get below freezing, but comes back fuller every spring. It is one of the first things to bloom in my garden each spring, and blooms all the way until first freeze. I do have to tie it to a trellis or it will grow on the ground once branches are long enough to fall due to weight. Hummers and bees love to visit the blooms. Mine gets full morning sun and filtered sun to shade from noon until sunset. Does fine with twice a week irrigation, heavy rains don't seem to affect it either.

Positive bobyrd On Aug 12, 2010, bobyrd from Conroe, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Once this plant gets started it really takes off and blooms non stop. In my area the flowers close up in the heat of the late afternoon. I have yet to figure out where the seeds are if there are any! I have this planted where it gets afternoon sun but am eager to see how it does in partial shade.

Positive 9kittymom On Jun 28, 2008, 9kittymom from Bartlesville, OK (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this vine. I bought it last year from Logee's and it bloomed a little bit. I wintered it over in my garage because it wouldn't make it in my zone. It has come back and is lush and loaded with buds and blooms. Just Gorgeous!
=^..^=

Positive largosmom On Jul 8, 2007, largosmom from Newport News, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant was recommended to me as an annual in my area for a quick covering vine for a section of chainlink that is visible between the neighbor's house and mine. I'm very pleased with the bright blue blossoms and wish I'd put it on a terrace (next year!). I plant to collect cuttings and/or seed in the fall so that I can grow my own. In profile, the yellow throat shows, and it resembles a smoker's pipe.

Positive princessnonie On Jun 25, 2007, princessnonie from New Caney, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

In my zone which is 8b/9a this plant wilts in late afternoon summer sun but recovers.
It freezes to the ground in winter but comes back from the root in time to reach 3 to 4 feet tall and blooms well.

Positive mia01 On Aug 31, 2006, mia01 from karachi
Pakistan wrote:

mia01 31 Aug 06 Karachi

This plant is a joy to behold! I have had it in my garden for over a year now. From a small cutting it has grown into a most pleasing 4 foot high bush and flowers faithfully. My only regret is that the gorgeous deep purple flowers are very shortlived.

I am quite certain mine is the thunbergia battiscombei but, unlike lilypons, it is quite unmistakably small-leaved. I will post a picture of it ....if I can only figure out how...

Positive Lilypon On Oct 6, 2004, Lilypon from Moose Jaw, SK (Zone 3b) wrote:

This one is a winner (for spending the winter in a zone 3 grower's window). I really am following in love with:
Common name: Blue Boy or Clock Vine
Family: acanthaceae
Genus: thunbergia
Species battiscombei

It started blooming outside and even tho it dropped it's buds with constant hauling in and out (spending three days in a dark shed, avoiding frost, didn't help) it has now come back strong and is covered with buds/flowers. I really think it is a winner for growers in lower zones. Should also mention it blooms the first year from a small cutting. Just be aware it is a larger leafed vine and has a huge root systerm (needs a very large pot).

Neutral lupinelover On Jan 30, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Great for weaving among other plants.

Daphne, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Cloverdale, California
Elk Grove, California
Stockton, California
Brooksville, Florida (2 reports)
Crawfordville, Florida
Okatie, South Carolina
Cookeville, Tennessee
Alvin, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Conroe, Texas