Lima Bean
Phaseolus lunatus 'Dixie Speckled Butterpea'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: lunatus (loo-NAY-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Dixie Speckled Butterpea
Additional cultivar information:(aka Dixie Red Speckled Butterpea, Dixie Butterpea Speckled)

Vegetables

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:

Bush

61 to 70 days

Birmingham, Alabama

Augusta, Georgia (2 reports)

Heflin, Louisiana

Waynesboro, Mississippi

Albany, Oregon

Jonesville, South Carolina

Spicewood, Texas

Radford, Virginia (2 reports)

On Feb 27, 2013, glfbama from Albany, OR wrote:

The best butterbean of all -- it has to be for me to try to grow it in the PNW! When summers are not long and hot enough I get almost nothing. With a long hot summer, though, the yields are great.

Butterpeas are plumper than regular limas, and very succulent. (This is true only for the green butterpea. The speckled one is not as plump, and is sort of tough and chewy.)

Regarding another comment, I've had no problems shelling the beans, as long as they are mature. Like most other shelling beans, if they're not mature, shelling can be a bit tedious. Although they are "bush" beans, the vines get 3 - 4 feet tall, and need some support to keep them off the ground.

If you like baby green limas, you'll love butterpeas.

On Jan 29, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The production is good and the taste is great. I plant these every year and the seed is easy to find in feed stores. However, I save my own seeds now.

On Oct 27, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very prolific and hardy, it will produce where most others fail. It is tedius to pick and shell, but in my opionion is the best flavored of all the colored butterbeans

On Aug 29, 2002, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Attractive bush plant. High yield, but kind of a pain to shell as the beans are small, there are only 4 to 6 in each pod and the "strings" break easily. But they do take heat and drought very well.

Edited June of 2004 to add: I have found these to reliably reseed themselves for five years running now in my zone 8 garden.