Dry Bean 'Lazy Housewife Shellout'

Phaseolus vulgaris

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Lazy Housewife Shellout

Growth Habit:

Martinsville, Indiana

On Sep 16, 2012, cindyvog from Martinsville, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

Lazy Housewife pole bean is quite vigorous climbing over and above12 ft screen in my garden in Zone 5. It did well in this seasons 100 degree drought. It is only stringless if it is picked very young/small. Quite tasty. Strings formed rapidly on both size when bean got about 4." Better grown for a dry bean. Quite prolific.

On Jul 31, 2010, JAnnetteW from Philadelphia, MS wrote:

I want someone to tell me something about Lazy Housewife green beans. I live in East Central Mississippi where gardeners rarely try anything new. I have sold vegetables at the local farmer's market for three years, but grew vegetables organically for my own personal use for many years. However, I do not eat green beans often because they are not my personally favorite vegetable. So if I tried these beans, I would not be growing them for myself but for the local market which is hard to please if a grower tries something new.

For instance, nobody wants zucchini, but everybody who wants squash wants yellow Summer crookneck, yellow summer straightneck, or no squash at all. They would not try spaghetti squash. I know because I tried selling it one year. However, I have se... read more