PlantFiles: Dry Bean
Phaseolus vulgaris 'Selma Zebra'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Selma Zebra

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:
Climbing

101 to 110 days

Violet/Lavender

By Kelli
Thumbnail #1 of Phaseolus vulgaris by Kelli

Positive PlantBabysitter On May 28, 2013, PlantBabysitter from Pineville, LA wrote:

My grandmother grew these beans since before I was born, and we have always saved seeds for the next year. I have never tasted a better pole snap bean. They grow themselves and are prolific.

Positive pati2 On Jul 14, 2006, pati2 from Jackson, GA wrote:

I have grown this bean for many years. My husband's father grew them from seeds he was given and gave us the seed.We eat the pod and bean but like others we have never found anyone who sells the seed so we collect dry pods at end of season. Nice to finally discover that the name is Selma zebra beans.

Positive pelican333 On Nov 19, 2005, pelican333 from Gold Beach, OR wrote:

My experience with the Selma Zebra bean was quite different. I grew them to eat green, pods and all. This was without a doubt the best tasting bean that I've ever had. The red/purple markings on the pod disappear when cooked. This spring I planted 6 seeds I found left over from the 2001 crop. All germinated and there are enough to plant a pretty good crop in 2006.

Positive Farmerdill On Aug 19, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew this one several years ago unaware that it was purely a dry shelling bean, Vermont Bean Seed was not very explicit in their description, It is very early and yields well. Slender pods are blue streaked, very pretty. Never tried the beans, so I can't tell you about flavor. Pods are inedible.

Augusta, Georgia