Snap Bean
Phaseolus vulgaris 'Royalty Purple Pod'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Royalty Purple Pod

Augusta, Georgia

Ozark, Missouri

Radford, Virginia

On Jul 25, 2006, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted all bush beans this year. A 24 ft. row of Contender, 12 ft. of Blue Lake, and 12 ft. of Royalty Purple Pod. We're enjoying and freezing lots of green beans now.

I found that the Purple Pod has about half the production rate of the other two varieties. As the pods turn green upon boiling, my wife and I can't tell which beans were the purple ones in a mixed pot. They're all good.

Royalty Purple Pod would be great as a seasonal ornamental bordering a sidewalk or a patio, attractive plants that also produce some veggies. Both the plants and the beans are really pretty.

But I won't be planting this variety again in my vegetable garden. There's just no advantage to raising a bean with only 50% of the production of others.

On Jul 18, 2006, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

One vendor offers this description: "53 days. Good yields, turn from purple to vibrant green when cooked. Very good taste. "

Days to maturity seems about right on target for us. Beans are a pretty purple when raw. The flowers are an attractive purple as well. After cooking, they do turn green, but not what I would call vibrant. My green beans (that start out green) are much greener after cooking. They are a crisp bean with good taste.

Wanted to add an update. It is now early August and these plants continue to flower and produce. Of the three types of snap beans I'm growing, these far out produce the others.

On Dec 18, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This was the first bush purple pod that was readily available. It grows well and has good flavor. Royal Burgundy is an improved version, but seed for Royalty is more easy to find.