PlantFiles: Smooth Solomon's Seal, Sealwort
Polygonatum biflorum

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Polygonatum (po-lig-oh-NAY-tum) (Info)
Species: biflorum (by-FLOR-um) (Info)

Synonym:Polygonatum angustifolium
Synonym:Polygonatum canaliculatum
Synonym:Polygonatum cobrense
Synonym:Polygonatum commutatum
Synonym:Polygonatum ellipticum

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By Sneirish

Thumbnail #6 of Polygonatum biflorum by Dynamo

By KBlueberry
Thumbnail #7 of Polygonatum biflorum by KBlueberry

Positive rgladney On Apr 23, 2013, rgladney from Mer Rouge, LA wrote:

Got a start of this plant from my sister in Pennsylvania, planted it in my shady, moist bed along with ferns and lily of the valley, in Mer Rouge, Louisiana and it is doing well! Add Louisiana to the list of places it will grow!!!!

Positive FlyPoison On Apr 16, 2012, FlyPoison from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Excellent native woodland plant that handles heat & drought in these parts very well. A great companion is the Great Solomon's Seal(Polygonatum commutatum). Birds love the fruit and they provide nice woodland interest from early spring to late fall.

Positive gardeningfun On Jan 5, 2011, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted in heavy clay, tons of water - it thrives here! But it hasn't spread all over. It is a nice size clump, but isn't taking over at all. So I recommend planting it in heavy clay if you don't want it to spread. Starts to come up in April and lasts for a long time! I love it!

Neutral jleigh On May 16, 2010, jleigh from Ballston Lake, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've been looking for this plant for a while... recently while on a hike in the Adirondacks I saw a large patch growing (in the wild). It's good to know that when/if I find some available for trade/purchase it will do well in my woodland garden.

Neutral Gundy03130 On Apr 30, 2010, Gundy03130 from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

Brooklyn Park/St. Paul,MN

I received a small clump of this plant from a friend and put them in my parent's yard in Brooklyn Park, MN. I put it in full sun/sandy soil, not knowing at the time what the name of the plant was. This was a late Spring transfer. The first year I didn't think it was going to make it. The following year it came back and spread. Every year it spreads and I have to give some away otherwise it takes over. I brought some to my house last year (St. Paul), put it in shade and it's taken off. Need to split again!

Neutral gailteachr On Jun 14, 2009, gailteachr from Cabot, AR wrote:

A friend gave me a start of Soloman's Seal this spring. I was very excited to see the beginnings of blooms. Yesterday we had a terrible storm with hail and high winds. Two stalks were broken down. I thought about sticking them into the ground just to see if they would root, but decided to make a clean cut and put them in a vase of water. Am I wasting my time? I really hated to toss them.

Positive roser207 On May 27, 2009, roser207 from Bellefonte, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant! Easy to grow in shade. I have never found it to be invasive in my zone. And no one mentioned the fragrance in the early morning...Wonderful!

Positive hart On May 1, 2009, hart from Shenandoah Valley, VA wrote:

Wow, one woman's trash is another woman's treasure. I love this plant. The variegated leaves are beautiful and the delicate flowers are charming.

It certainly hasn't been invasive for me at all. I have a still very small clump from a plant that was planted three years ago. It's in shade but in a fairly dry spot which I'm sure slows down spreading some.

Positive allgaul On May 17, 2008, allgaul from Cherry Hill, NJ wrote:

I was given a few clumps of this plant about 5 years or so ago. It was VERY slow to take off in my NJ shade areas. Just last year it make a nice clump and started to spread. I divided the clump into 5 or 6 individual plants and replanted throughout my shady area. I am hoping that each will start to make a clump, it is one of my favorite early spring perennials! It is planted with hosta, dwarf astilbe, sweet woodruff and ferns. I didn't know the name of it until I came here today to see if I could find it somehow! Yay!

Negative lemurianne On May 16, 2008, lemurianne from Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I hate this plant! It is EVERYWHERE in my yard -- sun, shade, nestled among tree roots, under my sidewalk(!), everywhere! Highly invasive and not especially attractive, I'd definitely suggest caution to anyone thinking about planting this. At the back or in the middle of perennial beds it isn't so bad, but it won't stay there! Everywhere that I've dug to plant this Spring has been infested with polygonatum biflorum's huge rhizomes. I'd pay money to be rid of it.

Positive CatskillKarma On May 23, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

Solomon's seal grow's wild everywhere here in the Catskills. The biflorum part of the species name is because the flowers of true Solomon's Seal grow in pairs along the leaf axils. I have some of the giant cultivar (3-4 ft) variety growing in a shady seating area in my yard as a memorial to my late pet Rhodesian Ridgeback Solomon. It is in bloom now, at the same time as some bleeding heart, which complements it well. Grows well with ferns and hostas, too.The area is shaded by swamp maples.

Positive DiOhio On Nov 1, 2004, DiOhio from Corning, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

We have a lot of this plant growing wild in our woods.

Neutral pokerboy On Oct 31, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant loves the shade. pokerboy.

Positive lmelling On Oct 31, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

A neighbor gave me a couple starts several years ago. I planted them in a moist shady spot and they've taken off like they've always been there. No special treatment, no real care. And it's beautiful in flower, foliage and even fall color!

Positive Sysan On Aug 8, 2003, Sysan wrote:

Hi - responding from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada - Solomon's Seal transplanted well and is spreading like a much-desired weed in our shady, moist garden. Just finished blooming in fact. Can't wait to see what happens with it next season!

Positive Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Great plant for shade, and not hard to get a clump started.

Neutral kat7 On May 2, 2001, kat7 from Bloomingdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

regal shade plant with slender arching stems that bear beautiful ovate-veined light green foliage. Small white tubular flowers dangle gracefully all along the stems in late spring and early summer.

Montevallo, Alabama
Grand Haven, Michigan
Royal Oak, Michigan
Bowlus, Minnesota
Isle, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Plainfield, New Jersey
Ballston Lake, New York
Blossvale, New York
Brooklyn, New York
Buffalo, New York (2 reports)
Fairport, New York