PlantFiles: Snap Bean (String, Green or French Bean)
Phaseolus vulgaris 'Blue Lake Bush'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Lake Bush
Additional cultivar information: (aka Bush Blue Lake)

Vegetables

By rebecca101
Thumbnail #1 of Phaseolus vulgaris by rebecca101

By pegpie
Thumbnail #2 of Phaseolus vulgaris by pegpie

Positive greenbrain On Sep 29, 2009, greenbrain from Madison, IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

I got tired of growing pole beans, so decided to try these. I've grown top crop bush beans before with success. These kept producing & I've gotten at least three good crops. Very tasty & prolific, but I liked top crops habit better of carrying the beans high on the plant. Not tough when they're fat with beans. It's Sept. 28 & they're still producing.

Positive rebecca101 On Oct 9, 2006, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I found this one to be very vigorous and tasty. Lots of beans and withstood adversity (pest and drought problems) better than other beans I grew.

Positive jenhillphoto On Jul 18, 2006, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grew this bean last year. Got multiple pickings from each plant. A pretty bright green after cooking. A good, crispy, tasty bean. The standard to which other beans are held in our family.

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This green bean is great because it has no strings and if picked young can be cooked whole in stir fry. It has a great flavor and the bushes are very generous.

Positive kadawn74 On Jul 29, 2004, kadawn74 from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is my first year growing beans, and these have totally outgrown and outproduced the "high yield" Kentucky Wonder pole beans I planted. I find the taste a little sweeter too, although I can only comment on how they taste raw. I snack on a few every day, when they reach 5-6 inches. Maybe they would taste different if I let them grow bigger, or let enough grow to cook? They have been incredibly easy to grow, my only thought would be to plant them 6 inches apart, instead of thinning them to that spacing, as all of them DID sprout.

Positive melody On Apr 17, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Many people in this area like the Blue Lake Bush bean. They are tender, have no strings and are quite tasty.

Easy to grow and many people prefer them to the old fashioned Kentucky Wonders.

Personally, I find the KY Wonders a little more full flavored, but the ease of harvest and preparation for the Blue Lakes makes it a winner too.

Positive lupinelover On Jan 13, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Heavy-yielding variety. Flavor is good. Plants usually do not require support. 53 days from seed.

Heflin, Alabama