Snap Bean (String, Green or French Bean) 'Northeaster'

Phaseolus vulgaris

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Northeaster
Additional cultivar information:(aka Kwintus)

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:

31 to 40 days

Arlington, Massachusetts

Vicksburg, Mississippi

Ozark, Missouri

On Jul 19, 2011, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew Northeaster pole beans for the first time this year, and I can't say enough good things about this variety. They're great! I planted only one 8' row on a 5' tall fence panel, and had the first picking of beans 54 days after planting. The vines are fairly compact and didn't try to overclimb the fence too much.

These beans are BIG and tender. The flavor is very good, and they're extremely productive. I've been picking two or three gallons every two days for a couple of weeks now, and it's hard to believe all those beans have come from one 8' row. We've been enjoying them fresh and filling up the freezer!

I've grown many varieties of "round" green beans, both pole and bush, over the years. No more. These are so good I think I'll just plant successi... read more

On Oct 31, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have not grown this plant yet, information only.

Said to be the earliest maturing pole bean. Can be used as an outdoor crop and off-season greenhouse production.

On Aug 8, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

According to one vendor's description, "the seed comes from Holland. Earliest and best-tasting pole bean in Emily Cates’ 2003 trial. “Wonderfully sweet and crunchy, a joy to grow and eat! Easy to grow, loves to climb.” Ripens almost two weeks earlier than Kentucky Wonder. Flavor improves with blanching. Somewhat flattened pods don’t get tough even when big. " (55 days)