We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

PlantFiles: Snap Bean (String, Green or French Bean)
Phaseolus vulgaris 'White Half Runner'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: White Half Runner

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:
Climbing

51 to 60 days

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #1 of Phaseolus vulgaris by Farmerdill

Positive lssfishhunter On Mar 30, 2012, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Production is great even though I do not plant them very often because of the strings. Even the smaller ones have strings most of the time. If you do not mind stringing them, I would recommend them. I prefer to plant these over pole beans because they produce better than other runners in my experience. This variety is well-known and is easily found in my area.

Positive Farmerdill On Jun 25, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a generic half runner usually sold in the feed and seed stores simply as half runners. I have also seen it identified as the Dixie half runner. I prefer the "Mountain" or "State" half runners but this one will do in a pinch. Dry beans imitate "Navy" beans. Pods are short and fat.Yields are good. Vine will run about 3 feet and do not need staking.

Augusta, Georgia