Snap Bean or Dry Bean 'Kwintus'

Phaseolus vulgaris

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Kwintus
Additional cultivar information:(aka Early Riser)

Open Pollinated

Juneau, Alaska

Provincetown, Massachusetts

Minneapolis, Minnesota

On Sep 30, 2010, alaska_rick from Juneau, AK (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grew this bean inside my cold frame greenhouse. It was a "greenhouse" with one side kept open all summer. The beans were amazing. They grew to a height of about 12 feet in an 8 ft greenhouse. I trained the runners up and across the cross supports for the greenhouse. I planted too early twice and the beans just rotted in the ground.

Do not plant in April in Alaska. The ground was not warm enough for germination.

But once the ground warmed up, they just took off. We still have new blossoms forming as I write ( Sept 30th ). Tonight we picked a lot of big beans. The temps are dipping into the 40s so time to pull them up.

On Jun 6, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

I've been growing this bean for the past 3 years, saving seeds to replant (so far it comes true). I have to say that it's my favorite bean. It's tasty, tender and sweet even when the pods have gotten a little older than they should. And it's prolific and early here in my Cape Cod garden, which has a short growing season. I should say that I prefer Romano type beans, which this is. Might be worth trying for others who have a similar growing season to mine.

On Aug 23, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 43 day Italian type pole snap bean that is also known as Early Riser. A flat, stringless 8 - 10 inch Romano type that is as early as a bush bean.