Maiden Pink
Dianthus deltoides

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dianthus (dy-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: deltoides (del-TOY-deez) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Gadsden, Alabama

Hereford, Texas

Freeland, Washington

Pulaski, Wisconsin

On Dec 10, 2010, ThomPotempa from Houston, TX wrote:

I went to my favorite native plant vendor to discuss availability of incoming plants during the height of the cold days (25 F) last winter. My 8 year old daughter noticed there were free plants. I had no experience with dyanthus (this was one of several varieties) but figured that the price was right, especially considering that I had just dug up a large bed that was just sitting there.

So, took about 4 trays of various flowers and was out there planting in 25 F weather. A neighbor later told me they thought I was nuts.

These turned out fantastic and I am always going to ensure they are in the winter garden

On Apr 19, 2008, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

pinks make a awesome front border plant, they fill in nicely and quickly, and are easily divided to spread out. I found them easy to grow in just about any soil condition, and require almost no attention.
After a few years and they have spread a bit- it may not produce as many flowers, but dividing and clipping back in early spring will bring on lots of new flowers.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is such a great plant that can take much abuse and still look beautiful. I have some in poor soil by a gate, and it gets beat up frequently when the gate is moved, but it never shows it. I have some more by my pond, and it gets walked on when I am tending the pump/filter, and it still thrives. It looks lush even when not in bloom. Stratification aids germination of seeds. Blooms late May to late June in my garden.

On Jun 20, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Flowers pretty well for a plant that constantly gets mowed over. If left untended, it would develope a bush of pink flowers. Seems to thrive on neglect.

On Mar 1, 2004, Gillianbc wrote:

Mine formed a mat about 18 inches by 12 inches which did quite well for 3 years then went bald in the middle with fewer flowers. I think this was because we had an exceptionally dry Summer last year or maybe they're just short lived. I tugged some off small chunks last autumn, potted up the pieces and overwintered in an unheated greenhouse. Each has survived and made a fresh plant about 6 inches across which I've now used to replace the mother plant. If I'd known it was so easy I'd have done more for friends !

On Nov 10, 2003, tilatup59 wrote:

I planted Hot pink and white Dianthus in full sun this fall in my large pots and my flower garden in North Carolina. They have grown from 1" seedlings and are aprox. 6"-8" tall. The pink ones are doing better than the white. Pinching-off the dead blooms has promoted more blooms. These sweet little flowers seem to be doing well even as it has gotten cold here in Charlotte.

On Feb 2, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have this in the front of the border, even in light shade. It grows 8 inches tall and spreads to form a thick mat thats nearly weed proof. In mid summer its covered with tiny inch blooms that come in shades of red, pink, crimson, or white. After flowering I cut the ones in full and part sun back and they rebloomed the rest of the summer... the ones in light shade didn't need to be cut back they grew slower and bloomed less but bloomed steadly until fall.

On Jan 4, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grows in Heat Zones 9-1.

On Nov 1, 2000, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This perennial is a great addition for a rock garden or the front of the border. Hardy from zones 3-9 it grows 8 inches tall and spreads to form a thick mat thats nearly weed proof. In mid summer its covered with tiny inch blooms that come in shades of red, pink, crimson, or white. After flowering a good shearing will promote some additional flowers through out the season. It likes sandy alkaline soils and it will perform best in full sun however it does tolerate partial shade.