PlantFiles: Snap Bean or Dry Bean
Phaseolus vulgaris 'Taylor's Dwarf Horticultural'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Taylor's Dwarf Horticultural

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:
Bush

41 to 50 days
51 to 60 days
61 to 70 days
71 to 80 days

Positive napdognewfie On Mar 3, 2010, napdognewfie from Cumberland, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

My parents grew this one. I still grow it most years. I like to add some of the shell beans to my home canned green beans. The dry beans are good in soup.

Positive Farmerdill On Nov 28, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The Dwarf Horticultural, Taylor strain is one of the more popular Horticultural cultivars. It is used heavily as a green shell bean. The carmine striped pods used to be prevalent in farmers markets in late September and were sold as "October" beans. It is very easy to grow and is suitable as a snap bean although not as good as many dedicated snap beans. I t was still a staple in southwest, Virginia when I left. Here in Georgia, the staple is southern peas leaving little niche for green shell beans. To be honest I prefer green shell southern peas myself and I grew up on October beans. Note that October beans also included Giant Horticultural, Cranberry and Wren's Egg cultivars.

Augusta, Georgia