Wax Bean
Phaseolus vulgaris 'Dragon Tongue'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Dragon Tongue
Additional cultivar information:(aka Dragon's Tongue, Dragon Langerie, Horticultural Wax, Merveille de Piemonte)

Vegetables

Jeanerette, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana

Stanchfield, Minnesota

Waynesboro, Mississippi

Columbus, Ohio (2 reports)

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Brazoria, Texas

Elgin, Texas

Catharpin, Virginia

On Aug 18, 2013, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is a great bean, easy to grow, and easy to spot when picking. They taste good no matter how you cook them. I will grow this every year in my garden.

On Jan 27, 2013, lilrandy from Jeanerette, LA wrote:

This is possibly the best tasting bean I've ever grown. The unique flavor is great right off of the bush, pickled, steamed, stir fried, or boiled with fresh potatoes. They seem to maintain their unique flavor even when used as a dry bean. My garden will never be without this bean.

On Mar 10, 2012, SugarSnapMama from Columbus, OH wrote:

My grandparents saved and grew this bean every year for as far back as I can remember and as far back as THEY could remember. It was always a staple, and I have fond memories of shelling these on the front porch with them, summer after summer. It really is wonderful fresh and dried. They relied on it because of it's great shelf-life as a stored dry bean to get them through the winter. It grew well in Southern Ohio. I don't ever remember them not having a bumper crop. I will be growing it in Central Ohio this year for the first time. The tradition goes on.

On Jun 15, 2011, mostlypatio from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

One of the best crops in my small plot in the community garden in 2010. The first bean my children decided to taste and loved it ever since. Very flavorful and tender. The plants are very prolific, I had about 10 plants and we harvested beans until late September.

On Nov 26, 2010, NordicFletch from Stanchfield, MN wrote:

Planted this variety the first year out of curiosity, and liked it so much I planted it again, and instead of eating all the pods I have seed for next year. In case anyone needs to know, it is possible to dry the pods in a basement; pull the plant up by the roots and hang upside-down -- the whole thing will dry out, plant, pods and all.

On Nov 8, 2010, cowtrailrd from Shawnee, OK wrote:

I planted a few for fall beans. Produced well and tasted great. will plant again.

On Feb 14, 2009, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Dragon Tongue Beans are not only beautiful to look at, but tasty too. They do have a buttery kind of taste. I still put just the smallest amount of butter on them after steaming and toss in some toasted almonds. So good and more tender than other varieties.

The purple streaks disappear during cooking.

Will grow again.

On Nov 10, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Outstanding flavor, stringless. My favorite bush bean this season by far. Almost tastes like it's already been buttered. My preferred way to eat Dragon Tongue is to steam for about 3-4 minutes, and serve 'as is', without any butter, salt or pepper.

On Feb 27, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Description only. SSE says this about it: "Dutch wax bean that has large 6-8" cream-colored pods with thin purple stripes that disappear when blanched. Wide, extremely crisp and juicy stringless pods. Compact, high-yielding plants. Bush habit, 55-60 days."

On Sep 4, 2006, kanita from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Dragon's Tongue bean can be used as snap bean or as dry shelling beans. Allow 60 days for snap beans or 100 days for dry shelling beans. Beans are beautiful to grow. Unusual flat pods, similar in shape to Roma beans. This is an Heirloom bean.

On Jul 14, 2006, RichardHeimler from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

Growing 25 foot row of this variety and is producing tremendously/summer 2006. Made mistake of adding too much nitro-maybe this is helping the production. Enriched soil, in beds, temps 90+F/60F, Southern California Inland Valley.

On Oct 31, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Information only, I have not grown this plant yet.

A beautiful heirloom bean with yellow pods and purple streaks. Beans are flat podded and are best at about 6". They make a colorful addition to salads. Tan seeds.

On Jan 4, 2004, tweezle from State College, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This bean performed extremely well in our garden, even with the record breaking wet year we had. It produced very well, and the flavor was exceptional. It was easy to harvest because of the color, and if the bean gets away from you, it can also be used as a shelled bean. This is the only wax bean my husband has raved about. He has requested that it will become a staple in our garden.