PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Juliet'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Juliet

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by gman500

By Kathy_T
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Kathy_T

Positive between On Oct 13, 2013, between from Temecula, CA wrote:

Positive experience for last year's crop, disaster for 2013. Last year I dehydrated 4,935 juliets(yep, counted every one of them) and couldn't keep up with the tremendous production from just two juliets in a 3'x12' raised bed. Very good flavor.
This year I had to pull one out before even blossoms appeared, and the other we got maybe 200 fruits before the plant just stopped production and started to look terrible. I thought the several days of 105 degrees we had was the cause, which maybe did have an effect, but eventually I removed the plant in August and was shocked at the root knot nematodes damage. We did the solarization on the raised bed during the week or so of 100+ degrees, and the bed is still plastic covered. I hope they cooked several times over.
I can't blame the variety for this year's disaster.

Negative goulot On Aug 12, 2013, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

I grew these last year, and gave some plants to a neighbor. The plants were covered with tomatoes, until late in the season (I had enough green tomatoes for about eight jars of green tomato preserves). But these tomatoes were hard, even when ripe, and tasteless.

My neighbor agreed with me. She did not even bother to harvest her late green tomatoes. She just left them on the vine. I could see them from my upstairs window, and I don't think they even rotted until much later in the winter (that's how tough these tomatoes are).

Positive WillyFromAZ On Apr 9, 2013, WillyFromAZ from Sierra Vista, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

A remarkable tomato that just produces and produces--hundreds of small plum-type tomatoes. This one is a regular in my high desert garden in Sierra Vista, AZ.

Positive riceke On Jan 24, 2013, riceke from Snellville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Outstanding production, large cherry size fruit more like a small plum. Healthy strong plant, highly disease resistant. Couldn't keep up with the fruit ripening. It is one of the top ten plants in my book. Almost can say you can't fail with this one.

Positive nwh On Sep 8, 2012, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

I grew 1 Juliet tomato this year in a 20 gallon container w/ mostly compost. By far this is one of the most productive plants I've seen. I've been picking Juliets every day for over 2 months, since early July. And there are still lots of tomatoes on the plant. For me the flavor is not as strong as other varieties, but it's still tasty and pleasant. These are great for snacks or salads or to bring in your lunch.

Negative KCorley On Jun 15, 2012, KCorley from Houston, TX wrote:

Only tomato I grew this year that will get a NEGATIVE rating from me. In my garden, the fruit was hard, thick-skinned (and even somewhat dry) and the flavor ranged from bland to downright bitter. Other than exhibiting above-average production and long shelf life, there was nothing appealing about this tomato.

Positive drthor On May 26, 2012, drthor from Irving, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this tomato. It always performs so well in my TX garden. I love the taste too. I slice it and use in salads. I will grow it every year.

Negative ManorRox On Feb 6, 2012, ManorRox from Manor, TX wrote:

I planted this tomato late July and once the Central Texas heat died down it produced tons of fruit which ripened without any issues. I gave this plant a negative rating because the taste of the fruit was lacking. Since it is a hybrid, seeds cannot be collected either (which I would not do due to the taste). I'll stick with the wonderful taste of the heirloom varieties.

Positive burntumber On Jan 12, 2012, burntumber from Anson, ME wrote:

This is by far my favorite tomato for growing. I'm the epitomy of the lazy gardener. Juliet pretty much grows itself. I don't do anything other than put seeds in the soil with a couple handfuls of composted manure and black plastic as weed barrier. I used to start transplants but that's not even necessary. Sometimes I don't even bother with cages. The fruit is perfect for anything, being it's a cross between a paste and cherry. The best point: It's disease resistance outshines any variety I've grown, leaps and bounds. It never fails.

Positive donnyczech On Dec 7, 2011, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

I grew one plant in 2011 and that was enough. It grew 10 feet tall and produced a lot of fruit. Not the tastiest fruit in the garden, but if you grow it, you will have tomatoes. I will plant one in 2012.

Positive CenFL_garden On Sep 18, 2011, CenFL_garden from Casselberry, FL wrote:

Juliet is doing very well in Central Florida.With a good care its producing lile crazy!. A little harder skin, but if picked early is not too bad. Good for salads. Not sweet taste, not sour either.

Positive kczsweetie On Aug 11, 2011, kczsweetie from central, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

First time Juliet grower and boy does this baby produce! Plants are about 4.5 ft. tall, and is in no way confined to the large tomato cage it's in. Actually, it's at least as wide as tall and producing everywhere. No special attention given to it: planted in Illinois soil tilled with a small bit of year-old manure, and only watered when there is a severe drought.

Tomatoes are all completely blemish-free. I happen to like the flavor, compared to say a Roma, and the size is perfect to quarter into salads. I agree with others that Juliet does not necessairly have a sweet flavor like a cherry type, but I also would not consider it comparable to a bland winter supermarket tomato. Just a solid general tomato flavor. I suppose you could categorize the skin as being a bit thicker, but it is in no way off-putting for me -- actually, if I hadn't read the other reviews I never would've thought of it that way.

Would definately recommend.

Positive papakosm On Apr 5, 2011, papakosm from Tulsa, OK wrote:

Ive grown over 150 varieties of tomatoes over 40 yrs. Half of my tomato crop is Juliets. It has a true tomato flavor, is very sweet also, and out performs any other variety. It has kept fresh on my countertop for two weeks. It can be processed chopped and frozen and come out of the freezer and actually taste like a fresh tomato. However, it only has that incredible flavor during our hot months of summer. It is bland early and late in the year. If you're a southern gardener, this is an absolute must! If you live in an area that is not as hot, all I can say is I'm so sorry.

Positive Californian On Jan 21, 2011, Californian from Fullerton, CA wrote:

I think the thick skin is a benefit. Even if the fruits fall off the vine and lay on the ground they don't spoil even after several days. And they are easy to pick because they break off cleanly and easily from the vine. The taste isn't as sweet as some other cherry size tomatoes, but I use them to make sun dried tomatoes. The thick skin also makes them sun scald resistant, which is a big problem for me here in southern California.

Positive lycodad On Aug 9, 2010, lycodad from Hornell, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

This variety grew and produced well, with lots of fruit to pick. Like other growers, I found these tomatoes sort of bland when eated fresh off the plant. I have found that the fruits age well, however, and sweeten up a bit after being off the vine for awhile. Still not as sweet as many other cherries.

Neutral csgarden On Aug 5, 2009, csgarden from Roanoke, VA wrote:

As mentioned, very prolific and beautiful fruit, but the skin is tough. I'll probably grow again, just because it's so prolific.

Positive m_two On Jan 8, 2009, m_two from Saint Louis, MO wrote:

One of the best performing tomatoes ever in my MO garden. Must have patience as the fruit turns bright right red before full ripeness and flavor arrive. The best flavor was achieved when fruit was left to ripen on the vine until color darkened and fruit softened slightly. Skin never split, even during the wettest summer weather ever. Easy bite size portions make it a great snack.

Neutral toughgardengeek On Dec 10, 2008, toughgardengeek from Bethpage, NY wrote:

I am on the fence with this one. Very heavy production, flavour is a bit bland to me, but not bad (my mom likes it allot). Tough skin mentioned by some, for me it was not a problem. Fruit does hold well on the plant for a long time without cracking. At season end, it's the last tomato still producing good ripe fruit. Last summer (2009) was very wet, and it ws the last to get late blight (it was the first time ever that I had late blight).

Negative KSBaptisia On Dec 4, 2008, KSBaptisia from Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

It is a prolific producer and the tomatoes look beautiful. Howver, they have very tough skins and bland flavor.

Positive IO1 On Jul 1, 2008, IO1 from Waaaay Down South, GA wrote:

I received this plant from a DG member at our local RU and was surprised at how prolific and wonderful tasting these little tomatoes have been. I'm growing them in an Earth Box and am very satisfied with the quality and quanity and have added it to my want list for next year. They've been disease free and are a beautiful cross between a grape tomato and plumb.

Neutral vossner On Jun 3, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Bought a plant at my buddy's recommendation. Fast grower, lots of fruit. I would consider it a cross between a grape and a plum. At first bite, I thought the taste was "earthy" but I liked it more and more over time. Love to drizzle it w/ a little olive oil and spices. Extremely low maint. in my yard. Will definitely grow it again.

May 2013. Changing rating to neutral as I have come to agree with the people who have posted here stating Juliet has a thick skin and blah flavor, Having said that, it is still a very easy plant and I think it would be a lovely addition to a children's garden as it grows well in containers, it is a child-sized plant and very productive. It's just that there are better tasting tomatoes out there,

Positive blackbunny On Sep 21, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

A friend gave me her last year's opened packet of these seeds, otherwise I doubt if I'd have tried them. At first I was disappointed when I saw their in-between size and saw that they were neither cherry nor true paste (I failed to grow my fave cherry, Grape Tomato "Sugar Plum", which these resemble). In the end, tho, I add my voice to the praise of this prolific and healthy producer. Despite what some others have said here about mediochre flavor, my harvest has been sweet balanced with tart and a nice true tomato flavor ('tis true about the thick skin, tho). Maybe it's the company these seeds came from (I'll try to find the packet if anyone is interrested). The uniform small-ish size and blemish free fruit have been easy to throw in a ziplock bag and freeze for later use this winter. I reckon I will grow these again.

Positive jessums On Jul 16, 2006, jessums from Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is my second year of growing this variety. I grow them because I enjoy the taste and the volume of tomatoes that are produced. Three of these plants will give large amounts of tomatoes until frost.

Neutral CountryDaddy On Mar 6, 2006, CountryDaddy from Wilmington, IL wrote:

I have grown these tomatoes every year since they were introduced in 1999. I grow them because I like the taste and they are extremely productive. I do think the skin is a bit tough, though, and I find they break off from the plant too easily and a lot are wasted.

Negative hurono On Jan 31, 2006, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

Tough skin. Average flavor. Sure it produced a lot but quality was very mediocre. Plenty of other far better choices.

Positive EAPierce On Dec 11, 2005, EAPierce from Idaho Falls, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I can attest to Juliet's vigor. It's very sturdy for such a tall, quick grower- only one stake apiece needed for my specimens- no cages or other bracing. And, yes, it's a very reliable producer. I like a juicy tomato, so that's a plus, too, and the flavor is good, though there's better to be had (German heirloom Reisentraube is my fave). The best thing about Juliet, though, is that it lives up to its reputation as a variety that resists cracking. Of the several dozen I harvested, only three cracked in the slightest before ripening completely.

Positive carminator1 On Oct 23, 2005, carminator1 from mobile, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I really like this tomatoe, I planted one on my earthbox and it grew like crazy plus gave me plenty of sweet tasting tomatoes. I highly recommend this tomatoe, it will grow very tall though so beware if you are going to place it into a container.

Negative rebecca101 On May 23, 2005, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant grows well in WI, and it really makes a beautiful display when the vines are covered with neat rows of little teardrop-shaped tomatoes. But I give it a negative rating, because it doesn't have any flavor. There's basically no difference between this and a supermarket tomato in taste. The texture is inferior too -- not much meat, mostly seedy pulp inside. I've been much happier with every other tomato I've tried.

Positive drneutrino On May 21, 2005, drneutrino from Needham, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grew 1 plant 2004 as experiment along with 7 other varieties. It was positively the most prolific, disease free of all tomato plants in my garden.

Trying to desperately find local plant source for this season and recommendations for seed source for next year.

Positive RayCar3538 On Apr 21, 2005, RayCar3538 from Danville, PA wrote:

Grew it for first time in 2004. I grew one plant in a large fiberglass pot in Miracle-gro potting mix. It grew very well and was very prolific. The fruits were very firm and taste was great. It has the shape of a Roma with the texture and taste of a regular tomato. We loved eating them 'fresh' and in salads (for salad they had to be cut in half). I am trying three this year (2005), again in pots, but with Miracle-gro 'dirt'. A great tomato!

Positive jasonc On Apr 4, 2005, jasonc from Parrish, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just planted this one from a purchased plant on March 27th. So far it looks to be doing really good. The plant was pretty tall and falling over so I planted most of the stem in the ground leaving just the top part of the leaves showing and its great looking so far...

Positive tjoday On Mar 9, 2005, tjoday from East Bridgewater, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

i have grown this tomato for 5 years and it has not disapointed me yet

Neutral roxroe On Dec 31, 2004, roxroe from Winchester, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have to agree with other comments. Prolific, thick skinned, with a flavor that did not recommend itself. I had no disease problems.

Positive Sequee On Sep 5, 2004, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

A fun tomato to grow as it just keeps on giving! One of the plants grew so tall last year that it fell over. This year 4 tomato plants grew in the area where the original plant had fallen! All 4 plants were equally prolific. The tomatoes were not quite a large as the first batch and were not quite as tasty. Last year we were eating them like candy - this years it was still a very good salad tomato.

Negative gardenpaws_VA On Aug 14, 2004, gardenpaws_VA from Herndon, VA wrote:

I've grown Juliet for two years, growing from a purchased plant last year and from seed (commercial - it's a hybrid) this year. On the plus side are that it grows well most of the time and produces copiously, and it holds well on the vine with minimal cracking. On the minus side are that it doesn't have a rich or complex tomato flavor, and the skins are tough. It also seems to be more susceptible than most to Anthracnose. I'll be looking for an alternative cooking tomato next year.

Positive Kathy_T On Aug 11, 2004, Kathy_T from Santa Clara, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have grown this plant for 3 years running and really like the production. I usually get 4-6 good pickings of them for sauce. The plant really spreads.

Neutral wm On Jun 5, 2004, wm from Hagerstown, MD wrote:

Grew six plants in 2003.
Skin bit thick, flavor ho-hum, prolific, pleasing appearance.
Quite a few fruits overwintered on the ground; many volunteers this spring; kept twelve. No idea what they will produce but expect them to revert to cherries which have made my favorite tomato juice. Will report back D.V. or should I just stop right now?

Positive gman500 On Apr 25, 2004, gman500 from Manteca, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This was one of my favorites from last year. It was not sweet like most cherries. It has a rich full tomato taste that wowed most of my co-workers. Very, very prolific! These plants went to the top of my 6.5' cages and all the way back down to the ground, producing all the way.

Neutral FCivish On Jan 23, 2004, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

I would consider this to be more of a Plum tomato or small Paste tomato than a 'Grape' tomato. It is not really like a grape tomato in size, shape or taste. I also don't think it is truly a Cherry tomato.

I found the flavor to be only average. Better than most paste tomatoes and plum tomatoes, but not as good as grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. It does make good sauces but you will need a lot of them for the sauce.

Meat is firm and thick. Skin is a little thicker than average. It lasts a long time on the vine and a reasonable time after picking. Fruit didn't crack a lot, and I saw no Blossom End Rot. Plant is fairly vigorous and productive.

Positive trevrep On Nov 2, 2003, trevrep wrote:

My brother, who lives in Waynesboro, VA, planted two Juliets this year. They were each about 6 feet tall and amazing producers of the best 'cherry' tomatoes that I have ever enjoyed. I was told that starting from seed was not a good idea. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and have had good success with 'regular' (sorry, don't know the type) cherry tomatoes and definitely intend on getting some plants in the ground next season. I would highly recommend this 'right off the vine' tomato.

Neutral dokutaaguriin On Sep 13, 2003, dokutaaguriin from Airdrie
Canada (Zone 3a) wrote:

I enjoyed the crunchy texture of this tomato. However, in my greenhouse (Airdrie, Alberta, Canada) this variety and Jolly grown in pots(same Tawainese breeder developed them) were the only two (I also grew Moneymaker, Mr. Stripey, Yellow Carrol, Caspian Pink, Sweet 100) to succumb Blossom End Rot! I will not grow this variety (and Jolly) again.

Positive Bungarian On May 20, 2003, Bungarian from Cotton Valley, LA wrote:

This plant grows well and produces right up till frost. The taste is OK but not great. I plan to try Jolly this year.

Positive mdgmom On Apr 27, 2003, mdgmom from Montville, NJ wrote:

Prolific performer! Two plants yielded 50+ pints of firm, sweet large grape tomatoes-- almost a small plum. Fruits in clusters-- great for eating out of hand, and I pickled about 10 quart jars of green tomatoes when frost threatened in mid-October. Still crunchy 6 months later.

Positive oppy On Apr 13, 2003, oppy from Cambridge, MA wrote:

A powerful tomato. Very productive, grows well (too well at times). Very disease resistant.

Positive tomato_lady On Mar 29, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this tomato while in Florida two years ago. The vines were strong and vigorous and held up well under the Florida sun.

Looks like a cross between a "grape" tomato and a Roma. Just a great all around plant with good flavor.

Positive Iowagal On Jan 5, 2003, Iowagal from CHARITON, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grew this tomato last year and it was very prolific. The fruit averaged 1 to 1.5" in length and 1" in diameter. Wonderful flavor! Great in salads, dried and loved the flavor of home-canned "V8 Juice". Very firm, red and luscious right off the vine as a snack! Used several pounds in spaghetti sauce also.

The plants were 5-6 feet tall and finally stopped producing after a hard freeze. Planted two plants as a safety measure and needed 5 gallon buckets to carry in the crop. I was very satisified and will plant again next year.

Russellville, Alabama
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Tempe, Arizona
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Fremont, California
Fresno, California (2 reports)
Fullerton, California
Deland, Florida
Deltona, Florida
Inverness, Florida
Parrish, Florida
Augusta, Georgia (2 reports)
Snellville, Georgia
Laie, Hawaii
Athol, Idaho
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Peoria, Illinois
Wilmington, Illinois
Fort Wayne, Indiana (2 reports)
Wichita, Kansas
Covington, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana
Zachary, Louisiana
Anson, Maine
Cambridge, Massachusetts (2 reports)
East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Hemingway, South Carolina
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Leoma, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Brazoria, Texas