Dwarf Runner Bean
Phaseolus coccineus 'Hestia'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: coccineus (kok-SIN-ee-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Hestia

Vegetables

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:

Bush

Seed is poisonous if ingested

71 to 80 days

Monroe, Georgia

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

positive

On Jun 15, 2011, mostlypatio from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I got seeds from Park Seeds and had tried to grow them in pots and in ground. I loved the flowers and jade green heart shape leaves. But I had only three beans in season of 2010. I am growing it again, it blooms beautifully now, hopefully there will be more beans this year.

On Jun 28, 2008, rodeco1 from Monroe, GA wrote:

This is a lovely plant with beautiful flowers but so far no beans. I have lots of bees here and see them around the bean flowers and yet where the bean would start is only the remant of the base of the flower. I had to go ahead and plant another crop of pole beans because hestia though very decorative are not producing beans. Very frustrating. I will probably grow them from now on just for the looks and make sure I plant my old reliables.

On Mar 25, 2007, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I like this plant a lot. Pretty flowers. Worth growing just for that; beans are a bonus. 67-percent germination (planted three seeds, two came up). About 5 weeks here in zone 10 from planting seeds to blooms; 70 day to crop--we'll beat that by two weeks at least.

On Feb 19, 2006, Melissa_Ohio from Southwestern, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

From Harvest Moon Farms and Seed: "A superb variety with all the best characteristics of modern runner beans, but on dwarf plants. Early to crop, often before standard types, with a good yield of tasty, long, straight, stringless pods, held above the soil to avoid disease. Ideal for small gardens, large containers and borders where its bicoloured flowers of red and white make an attractive addition."