Wide-leaved Bellflower
Campanula latifolia

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: latifolia (lat-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Light Blue

Medium Blue

Dark Blue

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Anchorage, Alaska

Poulsbo, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Waukesha, Wisconsin

On Mar 9, 2013, HeidiKHandmade from Vancouver, WA wrote:

I think I MAY have this plant. I don't have a taxonomy book handy, but the height, blossom position, and color are right. Been growing at my location for over thirty years; started in the back yard where the old stone-concrete patio was cracked, where they came up yearly. Moved by seed to the nothernmost edge of the parking strip, where it's doing very well! Seems to re-seed itself, but when I had to dig some up last year, I think I saw bulbs.

On Aug 6, 2012, Toadeye from Colville, WA wrote:

All 3 of my dogs love to nibble on the leaves of this plant. Neighbors walking their dogs along my property have also commented that their dogs do the same. I am curious whether any other readers have noticed this. I have not found any reference to toxicity. I wonder what it is that so strongly attracts my dogs.

On Jun 6, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very handsome..an eyecatcher in the garden. Short time blooming...but I cannot have all. Easy to seed and easy to grow. Best if planted in small groups through the garden here and there because it does 'nt rebloom after flowering. Will selfseed. Very suitable for wet cooler climates indeed. In Netherlands C. latifilolia grows - used to grow - along woodsides. It has found its place in gardens through ages. I think you call this a heirloom..we call it a "stinzeplant" Now it is a endangered and protected species in its natural habitat like all other campanula.

On Aug 13, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Campanulas seem to like our cool, moist climate. This is my second season growning C. latifolia, and I'm quite pleased with it. I had blooms the first year, but this summer they have great blooms and the plants including stalks are at least five feet tall. When heavy with those big blue bells, they tend to fall over, so staking is a good idea, unless they are supported by other plants.