PlantFiles: Coreopsis, Tickseed
Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Limerock Ruby

Thumbnail #6 of Coreopsis  by tyke

By GardenGuyKin
Thumbnail #7 of Coreopsis  by GardenGuyKin

Negative Massgirl On Aug 16, 2009, Massgirl from Franklin, MA wrote:

I, too, was annoyed when I got home, planted it, and then looked it up here on Dave's Garden that it's a tender perennial! Why even sell it at my local Garden Center in the perennial section? $10 bucks down the drain. I'm in Zone 6a, and since it's already planted... I did dig it up and move it to a new spot - along the foundation of my house under our dryer vent. I'm hoping it might be kept warm enough during the winter to survive, but I kind of doubt it. We'll see. I wouldn't bother buying it if you're in the northern zones - another person said it already, an "expensive annual".

Positive dblovesplants On Jun 8, 2008, dblovesplants from Saint Thomas, PA wrote:

This is one of my favorite coreopsis. I could not get this plant to overwinter either. However, this coreopsis with it's red flowers make it worth buying each year. They should stop calling it a perennial though. I have had no problems growing this plant.

Positive msbehavoyeur On Sep 12, 2007, msbehavoyeur from Stockton, CA wrote:

CULTURE
Tender perennial. Requires well-drained soils. A light cutback after flowering promotes re-flowering into early fall and also helps promote basal branching. Under stress conditions of very high temperatures or drought, a short term burn or discoloration of the petal margins can occur.

Neutral SarahL On Apr 10, 2007, SarahL from Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted six of these last year. They were very pretty. All the others types of coreopsis emerged a few weeks ago except this one. For some reason I decided not to yank it out last week and after looking at it again this morning it looks like there may be some green coming up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and holding my breath.

Maybe it's just slower to come out of dormancy than all the others?

I'll update my rating in a few weeks by then the verdict should be in.

Positive Kim_M On Jun 26, 2005, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Lovely Lovely plant! Coreopsis is one my favorite plants. This one is actually not a true red. But a fuchsia deep red. Almost Sparkling Ruby. It's a shame it has negatives. It is a tender perennial and should be treated as such. Collect the seeds if you aren't sure if it will return in your zone. Or try mulching it!

Negative nevadagdn On Mar 24, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

Although this plant was publicized as hardy, it didn't make it in spite of excellent drainage and a fairly mild (for Zone 7) winter. It performed well through the summer--it just didn't return the following Spring.

Neutral hrhs523 On Jul 12, 2004, hrhs523 from West Olive, MI wrote:

I bought two last summer and after a pretty cold winter in zone 5 with heavy wood chips, they made it, but look pretty small and not comparable to the success of Moonbeam and Golden Showers. Disappointing after they were so beautiful last year when I got them - worth having as an annual or pulling a planter in for the winter!

Negative jhyshark On Jul 9, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I bought one last year, and one this year, and have never even seen it bloom because the rabbits love it so much. Now that I read all the comments about hardiness, I sure won't try yet another year.

Positive BUFFY690 On Jul 8, 2004, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased my plant just this spring so I can only say that it has performed well so far. When alot of my other plants are wilting under the S.C.heat these seem to flourish. I took the one plant I had bought in a 1 gal container and split it into 3 parts and now all parts are the same size as the original. Seeing as other people have not had theirs come back I am going to try and save some seedheads and maybe dig one of the plant up before it gets too cold this year. If I can keep one clump alive it will be more than enough to have a start for next year.

2005
Mine survived the winter. I mulched it with, composted barnyard manures, and leaves from my yard, and a tiny sprinkling of salt hay. When I saw it I was so excited.

Negative rubenshome On Jul 7, 2004, rubenshome from Willoughby, OH wrote:

Purchased 6 last July for zone 6. Not one came back this year. Infomation with plant said it would grow in zone 6. My plant also came from the vendor Blooms of Bressingham.

Positive mnj310 On Jun 28, 2004, mnj310 from Amarillo, TX wrote:

I love this plant! Mine are more burgundy than red. It is beautiful. Well worth the money even if it is an annual. I paid about $4 apiece for mine. Will definitely purchase next year.

Neutral sadie_mae On Apr 21, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought 2 of these last year. After reading about the mis-stated hardiness of the plant, I covered both with black plastic pots held in place with rocks. 1 survived and is showing growth now, will have to wait & see if it continues to live and bloom. This is in zone 6a, we had one night when the temp went down to -10 this winter.

As of 7-20-04, the one plant that survived the winter has grown into a very nice 2' x 2' plant. If it makes it another winter, I am going to divide it next spring.

After winter of 2005, I am changing my rating to neutral because it did not come back, even with the extra protection. The nurseries around here are still selling it with tags that state hardy in zone 6. I was unable to find any viable seeds on the plant.

Positive suncatcheracres On Aug 15, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Regular yellow tickseeed is a very common wildflower here in Northcentral Florida, especially along the white, limerocked dirt roads. However, someone has planted a huge swath of this red type along the highway near the Suwannee River bridge, and it is really an eyecatching color, even at 65 miles an hour! I have the yellow type growing out by my gates on the sandy dirt road, but will try this red type in my garden.

Positive ROBERT761 On Aug 13, 2003, ROBERT761 from Mercersburg, PA wrote:

Beautiful form of coreopsis. Most unusual color and long flowering season. Hardiness was most definately overstated. I live in western Maryland (zone 6) and have had no success with overwintering.

Try it in a hanging planter for something really beautifu. Does very well in a pot.

Neutral spaniel On Aug 12, 2003, spaniel from North Yarmouth, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant has had some identity problems - most of the nurseries in Southern Maine are now calling it a tender perennial or even an annual. But I will agree with everyone that it definitely is worth having in your garden. Just don't expect to see it next year.

Neutral mountaineer On Jun 28, 2003, mountaineer from Manhattan, KS wrote:

This Coreopsis has done quite well for me. Its color stands out in the garden. My only complaint is that Rabbits seem to love it. They completely ate one plant in one night. Fortunately I had 2 other plants in different flower beds.
September 22, 2003:
After a very hot summer in zone 5, the 2 remaining plants I had did not stand the heat here. They were really pretty, but turned out to be a big dissapointment. I have also been told they will not stand the winters in zone 5.

Neutral Meandy On Jun 18, 2003, Meandy from Tipton, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought this plant last year but it didn't come back and I see from the information given that it isn't for my zone though the tag said it was. Perhaps it was labeled wrong according to zone hardiness.

Positive RubyStar On Jun 17, 2003, RubyStar from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I absolutely love this plant. No, my 2 didn't overwinter, but the color is so unique, the bloom lasts so long and is so profuse, and I wasn't conned into paying too much for it (got mine under $4, both last yr & this yr) that I'm more than willing to grow it as an annual.

Luscious color, luscious bloom.

Negative fpgill On May 17, 2003, fpgill from lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this last year, and its completely dead this year, although all of my other coreopsis survived. Please use caution when purchasing - many growers are now acknowledging this is an expensive annual! Blooms of Bressingham (which introduced the plant)now has downgraded its hardiness on their website.

Neutral Terry On Jan 20, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

'Limerock Ruby' was first discovered by a nurseryman in Rhode Island, who believes it is a cross between unknown Coreopsis seedlings. It's one of the first red summer perennials.

Positive mystic On Aug 31, 2002, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

A new addition to my garden this year and really adds some color. Its bloomed all summer long.

Dothan, Alabama