PlantFiles: Formal Decorative Dahlia
Dahlia 'Duet'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dahlia (DAHL-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Duet

Thumbnail #6 of Dahlia  by cocoajuno

By tillysrat
Thumbnail #7 of Dahlia  by tillysrat

Positive TSTruax24 On Jun 28, 2013, TSTruax24 from Catonsville, MD wrote:

I bought Dahlia tubers to mix up the flower combinations in my walkway garden because I have never grown them. They say you can leave them in the ground over winter in my Zone (Zone 7). I have not had such luck thus dig them up when their leaves and blooms dye off which isnít until the first frost. And with the climate changing that might not be until December in Maryland now a days. I spent last summer disappointed from leaving them over winter and they didnít return, and so have learned if no leaf shoots donít come up in May then there will be no Dahlias. This year I have replaced my Amethyst colored ones with Marble ones similar to the pictures above. I have dead headed the top of the stalk about 22Ē up and it exploded with more leaves and flower buds. The Dahlia hasnít bloomed yet but I anticipate the blooms in mid- late August! I was leery about dead heading but it seems like a must do for Dahlia cultivators and I suggest watching tutorials on how to do it and trying it for your own Dahlias.

Positive WillowWasp On Jul 5, 2009, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

So far this is the only Dahlia that I have growing this year. I hope to add a few more as they seem to like it here even in our hot, hot summer. I have had a couple of others in the past but don't remember their names.

Positive mbgardener On Oct 3, 2007, mbgardener from Myrtle Beach, SC wrote:

I saw this beautiful flower at a nearby garden center and bought 2 plants. Transplanted them to 2 huge pots and set them in the garden...I followed advice from DG and have enjoyed many blooms all summer long...our winters here are short in myrtle beach so i hope to enjoy the dahlias well into early november i hope. ive been watering every other day with success and dead heading the blooms has kept me with beautiful blooms.

Positive mbhoakct76 On Oct 1, 2007, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

I to got one of these in a mix, the rest were white and boring but this flower made it worth it, they are very easy to grow, only bad part is here in CT the tubers have to be lifted for winter, I have left them out in winter and had about half return, but thats no guarentee. potting is easiest and they easily survive the winter in a pot kept in a cool basement.

Positive grannymarsh On Aug 6, 2006, grannymarsh from Marquette, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Big, full blooms. Good bud count

Positive butterflydawn On Sep 19, 2004, butterflydawn from Appleton, WI wrote:

Saw this gorgeous flower and HAD to have it. Planted 4 tubers mid-summer - all 4 are growing like mad. Has a lot of rich green foliage and many buds which are blooming a couple at a time. Very large flowers - average 6" diameter. Haven't watered it any - it's doing great on the rain that we've had (or not had recently). Soil has clay content. Full sun approx 6 hrs / day.

Positive jkom51 On Jul 11, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I picked this dahlia up as an inexpensive 3-pak of tubers. Hoping to get at least one to grow, I potted them up separately and of course -- all three sprouted! I gave one away but kept the other two. They are extremely handsome dahlias and have garnered many compliments from visitors. Note that mine, at least, are the purple-red color, not a true red, so it shouldn't be planted near orange-colored flowers as the shades don't blend well.

Positive debi_z On Oct 14, 2002, debi_z from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

i was lucky enough to get this gorgeous dahlia in a mixed bag of dinner plate size tubers at a local home center.
i planted them,in a part sun location and they thrived. i'll try a full sun location next year to see the difference in this strain.
the blooms last a long time.
for a vase, i cut them in the early morning and place into water about 120 degrees. i only guesstimated at the temperature and perhaps that is why they only lasted 2-3 days in the vase indoors, on the screened porch 4-5 days. i'll have to purchase a thermometer for next years flowers.

deadheading through the summer yielded many new blooms.
if you want the really large blooms cut off the other buds and the energy will go into making 1 big beautiful flower.

Positive mystic On Aug 3, 2002, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have really enjoyed this Dahlia the color is so intense and the blooms last along time. In warmer climates you maybe able to leave in the ground with heavy mulch. But for me in Zone 6 I have to dig the tubers before first frost. Clean and let dry good. Pack in dry peat and store in cool dry place.

Lake Purdy, Alabama