Hollyhock
Alcea rosea 'Peaches 'n Dreams'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alcea (al-KEE-uh) (Info)
Species: rosea (RO-zee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Peaches 'n Dreams

Biennials

Rose/Mauve

Coral/Apricot

Cream/Tan

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Auburn, Alabama

Lubbock, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

On Jul 27, 2009, PinetopPlanter from Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've grown a number of different types of hollyhocks in the past, carrying on traditions from grandparents and such. 'Peaches and Dreams' is not your grandparents' variety of hollyhock . . . the flowers are very VERY doubled and HUGE. When they fall from the plant, they still look fresh (at least for a day). Unlike other doubles I've grown in the past, which tended to be a little shorter in stature than the singles, these plants are tall -- I had 5 or 6 plants scattered about the edge of the garden in bloom; none were shorter than 7 feet; most were 8 feet or taller.

I had tried to grow these from seed -- the method I've used to grow other varieties of hollyhocks. I did have trouble with this variety damping off. While 'Appleblossom' and 'Creme de Casis' seedlings in adjoinin... read more

On Sep 12, 2007, Cyprepedium from Palmer, MA wrote:

Sept., 2007--I have memories from the 1950s of the hollyhocks in my grandmother's beautiful gardens. Over the past couple of years, I felt I wanted to try to grow some myself. I bought Alcea rosea 'Peaches 'n' Dreams' this past May, spent the summer watching it grow, and finally the day came when the first buds opened. What an incredible flower and color! It was worth the wait. Unfortunately, I think our dry summer held it back somewhat. Even so, as of today it's slightly over 6'. I also planted seeds of the older, single-flower kind. I now have a lot of small plants that I hope will return to flower next year. I also intend to open another small garden in the spring just for hollyhocks, including the older kind.

On Jun 26, 2006, greendeb from Reedsville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I purchased this hollyhock in a 12 inch plant in 2005...I had 5 ft. tall plants with beautiful flowers the first year. This year, my hollyhocks are 9-10 ft. tall....I kid you not! They are so heavy with flowers that we have them staked, tied and propped up. They were the anchor type plant on our front porch but now have grown so big, we will have to move them next year 'cause we can't see out the front of the porch!

On Jan 23, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

'Peaches 'n Dreams' was recommended to me by another plant collector. I don't know if it was mistakingly labeled at the nursery or if it reverted, but it ended up blooming single, dark pink and white blooms. I took it out.

My information on this plant says that it is hardy in zones 3-9.

On Jul 12, 2005, 1gardengram from Fayetteville, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought a small plant last year and had to wait until this year for the flowers, but they were worth waiting for.

On Oct 6, 2004, Songbird839 from Medicine Hat, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

This was my first year with this plant and it was in a 4" pot when I bought it. It grew to be a big plant with huge big flowers. We had a cool rainy August which probably accounts for it's intense color. Love this plant!