Tropical Hibiscus 'Brilliant'

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Brilliant
Additional cultivar information:(aka Brilliant Red)
» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Kurtistown, Hawaii

Kure Beach, North Carolina

Alvin, Texas

On Apr 20, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I had given up ENTIRELY on tropical hibiscus as they never survived our (mild) 9a winters. However, I noticed that 2-3 or my neighbors grew this red beauty that seemed to survive winters w/o protection. After doing a little research I learned the plant that renewed my faith in tropical hibiscus was Brilliant. This plant can grow to 10 ft. I plan to keep it much shorter as it takes pruning quite well. Thirsty plant!. Plant in full sun for continued flowering spring thru fall.

Here is an excerpt taken from the history section of Hidden Valley Hibiscus:

The common red single flowered hibiscus, called Brilliant in the USA, is probably the best known hibiscus in the world. Nobody knows where it came from or when it was hybridized. It seems likely that the ... read more

On Jan 1, 2008, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is one of the hardiest hibsicus cultivars. I've had it in the ground for over a year and with mulching last year, it's doing just fine.
As long as it's hardy in a location, I think that they're much happier in the ground than in pots.

On Jul 23, 2007, Jode from Rowlett, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Notes from the grower: Enjoy indoors or outdoors as patio plotted plants. Not hardy outdoors when temps drop below 55F. LIGHT: Sunny or bright light. WATER: Do not let plants wilt. Keep soil moist at all times. FERTILIZER: According to directions, use full strength 5-10-5 houseplant fertilizer monthly from Mar.-Nov. An occasional feeding Dec.-Feb. PRUNING: Prune in the spring if desired to maintain shape.

On Jul 17, 2007, AmandaTaylor7 from Alvin, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a GOGEOUS, HARDY plant!! Contrary to popular belief that hibiscus must be in full 100% all-day sun to thrive, these do better in just a tad bit of shade per day.

We had a large frost this past winter and all the leaves on my Brilliant Hibiscus plants yellowed and dropped off. 2 weeks later, new ones began forming all over the shrub. I then cut it to about 1/2 it's size (about 2 feet at the time) and now, 4 months later, it's back to 4 feet again! This is a great shrub! Beautiful blooms!

On Apr 2, 2004, RichSwanner from Citrus Heights, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I don,t think this plant will go below 32f. It doesn't matter, it is a great annual. They can be gotten at any HD Lowe's or any good nursery. They come around here in March and last untill the first frost. That can be 10 months. The whole idea is that at 5$ it's a sweet color spot. Giving that Hawaii, or tropics feel to your yard or pool area. When I see them off my patio I think Maui!