PlantFiles: Fuzzy Deutzia, Fuzzy Pride of Rochester
Deutzia scabra

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Deutzia (DOOT-zee-uh) (Info)
Species: scabra (SKAY-bruh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Thumbnail #6 of Deutzia scabra by growin

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Deutzia scabra by growin

Positive camiam On Dec 27, 2013, camiam from Milton, FL wrote:

My mother gave me 3 small clusters of deutzia that she'd propagated from her own large, cascading bush at her house. I planted them around an old tree stump in the spring, over 2 years ago. The first summer, they grew several feet but did not bloom. I put a bird feeder by the tree stump and the birds loved to perch in the deutzia branches all around the feeder- this bush provides great cover for birds. By the third summer, the bushes were 8 feet high, and they bloomed profusely. The bees LOVED it and were all around it. Even when it's not blooming, the leaves are attractive and lush. In fall, they turn yellow with orange to reddish highlights.

Positive bobbieberecz On Aug 31, 2013, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I had no idea what I was buying at my local nursery and put my trust (which I'm usually stingy with) in the nurseryman. Early this summer my fledgling deutzia took my breath away! For several weeks it delighted me from far, far across our spacious lawn with it's sparkling white pearl buds. Finally it burst into bloom almost covering the whole plant. When the petals finally fell they stayed like fresh snow on the ground for another week or two. It gets full hot sun in the summer and lots of rain in the winter. I do water thoroughly and use a fertile mulch each year. It grew more than 3 feet this year. It's supposed to be a 4 to 5 foot variety. Too much water?? I live in a cold part of WA state---to 5* in the winter and hot in the summer---90's and sometimes 100*. I bought a GORGEOUS light pink variety at the same time. My husband accidentally mowed it down but it grew back with gusto. It blooms a little later than the white (minus those beautiful pearl buds) and the flowers are larger. Both are amazing!!

UPDATE: I just checked the tag on my plant and it is a new hybrid 'Kolmaspri". The flowers are NOT feathery but thick and solid. Purest white. Stunning little bush!

Positive gardenspirit13 On Apr 26, 2012, gardenspirit13 from Huntsville, AL wrote:

I recently saw this plant blooming in the front yard of an old Craftsman bungalow that my mother uses as an office. I wasn't sure what it was, but thought maybe a fothergilla, and planned to research it when I got home. I forgot. Then I got a call from a friend asking me to go look at a plant next to a bungalow in my neighborhood. There it was! HUGE, reaching almost to the roof. I'm going back to get cuttings to root!

Positive TNPassiflora On May 24, 2005, TNPassiflora from Oliver Springs, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I just now identified this beautiful shrub that is growing in my lawn (here when purchased). It is now in full bloom and about 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide (I'd say its been here for a while). It is really a gorgeous shrub & I have never seen one anywhere else. Thanks for Plant Files that I found the ID. Will post a photo soon.

Uncasville, Connecticut