Tropical Hibiscus 'El Capitolio Sport'

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: El Capitolio Sport

Conroe, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

On Apr 13, 2014, munteus from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

mother"El Capitolio" x father"Sport", Bloom size miniature under 12.7 cm,bush size 2-3 m,growth size upright,root stock own roots preferable,hybridiser unknown,grower Ted Rittenmar,listed in Australia and USA in 2002

On Sep 24, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I overwinter in our garage, but of all the hibbies I've ever grown and killed (and there's been MANY), this one is the hardiest. Perhaps, only slightly less hardy than the common red. Highly recommend this one, if you can find it.

On Jun 18, 2010, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

Just bought this from Wal-Mart after all our tropical hibiscus were killed by a hard freeze (winter 2010). It will stay in a pot this summer. Quite an unusual bloom as you can see in the photos. We'll see how well it tolerates our 100+ summer heat indexes. Zone 9b.

On Oct 23, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Dies back in the winter but has never failed to return. I do not cut them back when the freeze comes and they look pretty bad until the spring. Then I cut back the stems until I hit where it was not frozen. I have several now, from woody cuttings in the early summer. Blooms continually from early summer until frost. I cover the roots with pine straw in the winter.

On Dec 21, 2005, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is one happy hibiscus. Easy to grow and blooms often. It's still blooming (albeit less than in the summer) in my greenhouse where the temp is in the 40's at night.

On Jul 24, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

'El Capitolio Sport' is even more lovely than the original red flowered plant. It is peach colored with deep rose in the center of the outer petals. A flower within a flower is what comes to mind.

On Aug 29, 2003, aking1a from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Prolific bloomer. Of the Tropical hibiscus, this one seems to be one of the more hardy plants. I grow it in the garden, but I keep potted backups just in case.