PlantFiles: Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower
Hoya carnosa

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: carnosa (kar-NO-suh) (Info)

Synonym:Asclepias carnosa

Thumbnail #6 of Hoya carnosa by Morph

By Morph
Thumbnail #7 of Hoya carnosa by Morph

Positive NancyinNYC On Jun 27, 2013, NancyinNYC from Forest Hills, NY wrote:

My experience growing this plant has been remarkably similar to Sinny's. My mom retired around the same time I moved into a new home, and she gave me the hoya carnosa she had kept in her office for six years. To her surprise and my delight, it flowered shortly afterward and has been flowering on and off ever since, for more than a decade.

A few years ago I rooted a cutting from it and now have a second plant, which also flowers. The mother and daughter plants thrived in an eastern exposure and continue to thrive in a western one. They are wonderfully low-maintenance: Once a week I put them in the sink, water them and rinse the leaves, and let them drain, and then put them back on the windowsill. That's it!

Positive grannal On Dec 29, 2012, grannal from Spring, TX wrote:

I have had my Hoya Carnosa for about 10 yrs. and just recently it has exploded in growth! It has bloomed only once in the 10 yrs. but I love this plant. I have it on my patio, which faces south/southeast and it does great!! I did find out the hard way that mealybugs DO love this plant. Once under control, and a little fertilizer....it's up and growing again. The length is now approx. 5 ft. long!!! No blooms yet. I am a little concerned that the vibrant green waxy leaves are turning very pale green. Wondering if it needs iron, new soil or......????? Any help would be appreciated to get my Hoya back "green".

Positive andbez On Nov 27, 2012, andbez from Johannesburg
South Africa wrote:

I was given this plant by a friend,some six yrs ago.I was ready to cut it back and replant it,then one morning i saw it was starting to flower.Yes,it took six yrs,and is about 4ft in hight.I have it on the patio and the flowers are just beautiful.
I now want to plant one in our lounge,on the trelis leading up stairs.Problem is,sunlight is some what limited. Well i am going to try this,it will probably take a few yrs,but if it flowers,it will be worth it..

Positive TJBeal On Jul 19, 2012, TJBeal wrote:

Ive had the same Hoya for 19 years. It blooms but not frequently. I thought it was dying so I bought a tiny start & cut back the other one. Now I have two big beautiful plants. They are in a big south window & get very bright but nit direct light. Right now my 'younger' one is blooming. They both throw out new shoots constantly that get out of control growingbup to 2&1/2 feet straight out into the room until they climb up to the ceiling ir drop down. I love this plant.

Positive patalarga On Nov 24, 2011, patalarga from Morelia, Michoacn
Mexico wrote:

An entire year ago a friend gave me a cutting (with three leaves) of hoya carnosa. It's in a 4" pot. The leaves are green and healthy, I water it about 2X/week, it's upright and looks happy enough. But it hasn't grown or put out even the hint of a new leaf. My wife calls it "the plastic plant".

Of course I am tempted to look at the roots--if there are indeed any roots--but I also know that would be counter-productive.

Any ideas about how long my little hoya will take to show more definite signs of life--like a new leaf?

Cristina

Positive sunflowerlee On Nov 5, 2011, sunflowerlee from Mallorca
Spain wrote:

Hi, I live in Mallorca Spain and the Hoya grows here outside all year round without any problem. It grows in shaded areas as well as in full sun (and we get a lot of that!) and doesnt mind a couple of days of 2 to 3 centigrade in the winter. It is important tho' not to remove the flowers as new ones grow in the same place year after year. I grew a new plant from a cutting this year and it already gave me two flowers - it obviously likes this climate. It should have morning sun to provoke flowering and preferably crowded roots in a small pot. Less water in the winter is better.

Positive BettBi On Nov 1, 2011, BettBi from Pahoa, HI wrote:

I am heartened by the outpouring of love for this vine. A friend gave me 2 cuttings and I put them in two rock wall planters on each side of my arbor gate, in hopes that they would climb it. It has done that with some help, and it does produce occasional flowers--fake but very interesting looking as the other posters note. I had hoped for lots of foliage to cover the arbor but the vines are brown weedy things that look like they're dead. A neighbor took pity, came over and stuck some bleeding heart vines in the planters which provide much more color and interest. We live in a very wet environment, but the rock wall planters do dry out on occasion and there is not much soil in them. Having read all the other posts, I will give the hoya more time to show its stuff...

Positive RxBenson On Jul 20, 2011, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Lo, after nine years mine has bloomed. It has "ropes" over a yard long and summers outdoors in central almost-coastal NJ (Zone 6-7), and spends its winters in a sun room at 62F. (See image files)
I had been told that it needed lots of fertilizier, but that never worked so I quit years ago.It is probably pot-bound by now and gets full morning-noon sun.
I discovered the blooms (x2) one morning when pouting my way back to the house upon finding out that I had missed the bloom of my Epiphyllum oxypetallum the night before.
It looks like thrips are going to be a problem, especially when it comes indoors for winter....

PS My zip now shows up as "Cedar Glen Lakes," whereas it's always shown as "Whiting" before....

Positive wattamutt On Jun 11, 2011, wattamutt from Coatesville, PA wrote:

I read somewhere that the vine should be at least 3 feet long before it blooms- I tend to think this is true as I had my hoya for 4 years and it never bloomed but after reading that information I stopped trimming it and let it grow. within two years it had beautiful flowers. I only transplanted it once the whole time I had it.I think they like to be pot bound. And if you leave them outside they are a HUGE magnet for mealybugs and aphids. So for everyone having trouble getting their hoya to bloom, try letting it grow for a few feet- if you dont want it to hang that far down wrap it around itself in the pot or around a support- goodluck!

Positive aspenbooboo41 On Jun 19, 2010, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

A carefree plant with the most interesting flowers! The flowers smell kind of like chocolate, you definitely know when it's blooming! It produces some climbing vines that will attach themselves to walls or whatever is nearby. My plants hang in front of a window, some vines hanging down and some climbing up and around the curtain rod and wall.
I started with one indoor plant about 8 years ago. It flowered for many years (springtime-summer). I divided the plant about 3 years ago and now have two large, healthy plants ... but neither has flowered since I divided it. However, when I divided it, I gave a small piece of it to my mother and it has grown into a full sized plant and has been flowering each year.

*****Update-- how funny that within a month of posting my original comment my plant has started blooming again...yay !!

Positive Tennessee_Jill On Jan 29, 2010, Tennessee_Jill from Columbia, TN wrote:

I currently live in Tennessee and brought my Porcelain plant (her name is Iris after my grandmother) across country from California in 1997. My grandmother brought this plant with her from Sweden in 1908, taking it with her to Chicago, Massachusetts, Michigan and then to California. My mother and aunt split the original and half of it lives with me. This past year (2009) it measured 15 feet long, lives indoors in the kitchen, flowered three times with 23 bunches. When the flowers fall, my dog likes to lick the sweet nectar.
I love this plant and thanks to Dave's Garden for letting me know how to propagate as friends have asked for cuttings.

Positive wyomingflowers On Jul 19, 2009, wyomingflowers from Gillette, WY wrote:

living in zone 4 of course we grow our two carnosa's indoors all year long. With winds, hail or tornadoes a threat, we do not want to lose them. We got them in Dickinson, North Dakota in 2003 and watched two full massive "clear across your living room plants go to 2 small plants with 5-6 shoots full of leaves and, so far neither have bloomed.

However, I did own one in Idaho that bloomed and grew like crazy and the scent intoxicating! We can't wait for these to bloom as well. We have them hanging in our Northern window in our bathroom and even though they get new leaves and shoots, the leaves stay and most of the shoots die. I did however, knocked a a leaf off and placed it in dirt about 2 months ago, it is still green but will wait and see if it will pan out to anything but a few roots.
But, we keep keeping on! We have no Southern view to keep them safe from our Grandkids, as they sleep in that room and the plants hang down.

We feed them and let them get dry before watering (as per instructions) and just 'wait'. It has been positive because they haven't died yet, and we have faith that someday they will bloom as mine did in North Eastern Idaho (also kept indoors). Any Clues or freebie plants? They are my favorite flower in the world! HELP!

Positive krissy_p On Mar 3, 2009, krissy_p from Pipe Creek, TX wrote:

I grow this plant outside in the dappled sunlight under a few trees. The blooms are very interesting and my husband always asks me if they are fake. I leave them outside during the winter and they have never had any problems with the cold (zone 8b).

Positive mrbones On Jun 29, 2008, mrbones from Gypsum, CO wrote:

Three years ago I given a shoot of this plant. It was basically a stick with two leaves on it. It has since grown to about 30 inches and has all the indications that it's a healthy plant. The concern that I have is that it has not bloomed. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Positive Marilea777 On Mar 5, 2008, Marilea777 from La Grande, OR (Zone 4b) wrote:

I have been growing Hoya on each side of my corner window for 15 years. One 8 foot window is facing East the other (also 8 foot) faces South. The Hoya now serves as curtains growing up each side of the corner and as valance across the top. Both sides have filled out and provide a balanced frame over the complete corner. We absolutely love the fragrance that fills the room each evening. I find it to be the easiest plant that I grow. (and friends call my living room a jungle.) Plants purify the air we breathe. I find the plants give a sense of peace to the room. We will grow our Hoya as long as it wants to live with us.

Positive SummerLion On Jun 1, 2007, SummerLion from Two Rivers, AK (Zone 1) wrote:

I was given a stem of this plant by an elderly woman who'd had it for at least 40 years. She said it was her grandmother's. It was just a stick in a pot of dirt for five years, and then suddenly last summer started growing, putting out leaves... and now it has bloomed for the first time since I got it. Truly amazing (to me, anyway).

I love the way the buds look before they open fully, and the flowers are a pretty pink. They do ooze a bit of nectar, but not overmuch.

My plant lives in a Southeast window and gets lots of sun. I water it once a week and fertilize about once a month.

Positive PookieandHippie On Dec 30, 2006, PookieandHippie from Dewey, AZ wrote:

My mother received as a gift a hoya carnosa when I was born. I am now 61. My mother has passed on, but the plant is still going strong. Have had it in 7 California and one Arizona residences. The last two Christmas seasons it bloomed. Had to move it to make room for computer, and the room has less light because we covered the main window. It didn't bloom this Christmas. I had been under the impression that it doesn't like the light, but maybe I was wrong. It now gets a tiny sliver of light, facing south. Maybe I should try giving it more.

Positive swhite On Dec 17, 2006, swhite from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had a Hoya for years with great success.
Does anyone know of a source for Hoya carnosa 'Sweetheart'? There is a large one growing at the Franklin park Conservatory in Columbus, OH, the first I have ever seen. Does it bloom like a regular Hoya?

Positive WUVIE On Dec 10, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

The Hoya is new to my little greenhouse, but I'm
very excited about it after reading the posts above.

I'm happy it is a plant which readily propagates, as
I enjoy sharing unique plants with my sister in law;
Katherine. My Hoya was purchased from a "Save us,
we're doomed for the trash can" sale for two dollars
at a local hardware store which shall remain nameless.

It came with but a tag reading "Hoya Carnosa Loop"
which I assume is not a variety, but an indication of
the style, which was bread tied to a loop stuck in the
soil.

I will leave it potted this first week but will transplant
after it recovers from sitting around unattended without
water in the store.

Thank you all for sharing such wonderful information
about this plant.

Karen Marie

Positive AJSmith85 On Sep 9, 2006, AJSmith85 from Fairview, IL wrote:

I just inherited a Wax Plant that belonged to my grandmother. She passed away in 1964, 21 years before I was born. I have very little of hers and was very excited to have the plant! What was the most exciting was when it bloomed for the first time; I had no idea it did bloom and when it did I was in awe! It is very antique looking! The blooms look so fake, and I actually thought I was losing my mind the first time it bloomed! I had no information on this plant and no idea what it was until finding it on this website! I am so excited to learn all of the care information! When my step-grandmother gave it to me it was all wadded up on top of the pot; I was amazed at how long the stems are when I FINALLY got it untangled! Until three days ago it had lived in the same North facing window since my grandmother first got it, at least 42 years ago! It seemed to be doing well but I think it will do better if allowed to spread freely!

I am curious if it would climb on lattice work? My husband and I want it to spread but not climb into woodwork in our home. I thought this may be a good solution. I am also worried because it has about 5 main stems coming out of the pot, one of which is browning a bit. It has also lost a lot of leaves on a couple of stretches of stems. It has bloomed 2-3 times in the past year! Any help on these questions would be much appreciated! I would love to keep this plant going as long as it will!

Positive spaceman_spiff On Jul 1, 2005, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I obtained some Hoya cuttings growing in the branches of a Jacaranda tree here in St. Pete, FL (Zone 9b), in the back yard of a vacant house I helped remodel. Fascinated by the way it survived with no soil other than whatever tiny amounts might have gotten got in the small crevices of the tree's bark and branches, I decided to try the same thing in my large oak tree in the front yard.

However, I decided to give it a bit more help, and wedged flower pots in three different places in the oak's branches, so the cuttings could at least get a boost by growing in soil. This was three years ago, and all three plants are doing great! They have sent vines all up and down the branches of the oak, and many bloom clusters hang down from above during the summer.

In dry spells I spray water up into the tree toward the pots, but other than that I never do anything for the plants, and they have survived the winters here (and the hurricanes last year!) just fine. I wish they had more fragrance like Hoyas I remember from my childhood, though.

Positive ArdenS On Aug 26, 2004, ArdenS from Washington, DC wrote:

We have a Porcelain Flower vine frmaing a window (4'x5') with southeastern exposure in Washington DC. We have had it for two years. It's lush and thick, grew quickly, but has had only one bloom. Any suggestions about how to make it bloom?

Positive dvotaw On Jul 20, 2004, dvotaw from Lancaster, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Mine never stop blooming, they are placed in a shaded area during summer and in my greenhouse in the winter.
Mine grow so fast I just can't root them all last year I filled a garbage bag full to throw away, broke my heart but just no more room in the winter greenhouse.
I got 3 small peices from a friend about 7 years ago, hers died from too much sun and not enough water. But of course she has new plants off of mine.
infact I found a single leaf last month that had fallen into a pot of aloe and it had rooted, so I had the save it! still living just no added growth as of yet! I love them, I would share!!!

Positive nanawaters On May 29, 2004, nanawaters from Anniston, AL wrote:

I have three different kinds of this plant. I have the solid green leaf, the green and white leaf and the curly leaf. I put them on my porch every summer and the hummingbirds love them. If you look close you can see the nectar on the flowers. It looks like little raindrops just hanging on the flowers. I got this plant from my husband's great aunt also. When we sit on her porch in the summer we have to watch for dive bombing hummingbirds because they just love the nectar. It is one of my favorite plants because it is easy to start new plants and I love it when my friends see it for the first time and ask if it's fake.

Positive flowerwatcher On May 15, 2004, flowerwatcher from Bend, OR wrote:

This plant was a gift, one plant that I knew nothing about. I had mentioned it's uniqueness and all of the sudden I had small vine in my possession. It came as a cutting from a plant over 45 years old...I ignored it and it is now beautiful and a mystery to me. I have, after about 7 years, yet to see blooms, but think that it is a whole other "being" in my house. Now I am interested in finding out more, what does the pre-bloom look like? I may have blooms coming, it looks like a lighter sprout from a leafless area, but I do not know much about how the bloom appears. Can anyone help me?

Positive rmw00220 On May 2, 2004, rmw00220 wrote:

I have a hoya carnosa that has bloomed once since I got it and I have had it for about 20 years. Someone told me that if you pick the flowers , it will never bloom again. I also have had the sticky problem when it did bloom, and it is quite smelly. It is really beautiful and does look like velvet. It has been in a south window and now I have to relocate it because of remodeling. I would appreciate any help you can give me to make it bloom again. Thanks. myfarmgarden

Positive patp On Apr 29, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Take heart, teachaholic, this little beauty is worth waiting for. It might take a long time before it develops roots and puts forth growth. It will tolerate some direct sun and enjoys the outdoors during warm months. Let the soil dry at least 1" (2.5 cm) since it dislikes excess watering (causes leaves to turn yellow and fall off). Following bloom, do not break off flower stem for that is where it will bloom again. Feeding with time-release fertilizer is the easiest method. I keep my hoya carnosa in an east window in the winter (1/3 day full sun thru low-e glass window) and move it outside to a north porch, where it receives a tad of direct sunlight, after danger of frost is over. USDA Zone 8a, Summerville, SC
-------------
One site recommends inserting new cuttings with the node close to the surface.

Neutral teachaholic On Apr 27, 2004, teachaholic from Devon
United Kingdom wrote:

Hi All, Im based in the UK but with the use of the net hopefully I can still share gardening tips. Ive just been given a pot with two leaves sticking out of the soil and told its a Hoya Carnosa. So here I am learning about it and hope to one day have a healthy flowering plant.

Positive nancyanne On Apr 6, 2004, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I thoroughly disagree with the above...this plant produces a boat-shaped seed pod, full of small, flattened seeds with a silken thread attached. It grows readily from seed, and will reach blooming size in about 2 years.
Two notes: it is, indeed, a mealybug magnet; aphids, too.
Also, the seedlings from my variegated plant produced only solid-green foliage.

Neutral freedoggers On Jan 22, 2004, freedoggers from Rochester, NY wrote:

I aquired my grandmother's hoya 10 years ago. It bloomed wonderfully for her in a East-facing window. It bloomed a couple years for me and then I spent several years moving around and I was not careful during moves, so many/most of the buds fell off. I can not get it to bloom again. I have repotted it, fertilized it, and now it gets pretty good sun in a south window. Any suggestions on how to get this to bloom would be appreciated!

Positive sinny On Jan 4, 2004, sinny wrote:

I'm in Australia and I've had a Hoya that has lived in the same pot for about 15 years. I've never had to give it any "real" care and it doesn't seem to mind being slightly "neglected". This Hoya seems to flower randomly nearly all year round (much to the disgust of my mother who had it for years before giving it to me and never once saw it flower). Every now and then whenever the urge strikes me, I cut a piece off and bury it in whatever pot I have handy and viola! I have another hoya. Can't get any easier than that!

Neutral mangrower On Oct 19, 2003, mangrower wrote:

I have had a Wax Plant for probably ten years; it is quite large, hangs from the ceiling to the floor in front of a south window. It blooms most of the year. It gets a little sun and is watered once a week. The only problem is the leaves are turning a yellowish color.

Positive gardenermaid On Oct 5, 2003, gardenermaid from Bellaire, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

My mother has had her plant for over 40 years and it is still going strong....blooms constantly. I have had many cuttings, some never bloomed. The one I have now, was in the north window of my house, the only place I had for it. It bloomed about 3 times a year. We have now moved and it bloomed a month after moving and keeps blooming almost every month.
I now have it in a northeast corner of my sun room. The flowers look like wax and smell "heavenly" in the evenings. My sister thinks they "stink", so smell is in the nose of the beholder. :-)

Positive Mondz On Oct 4, 2003, Mondz from quezon city
Philippines wrote:

I just love propagating this plant. It's a no-brainer, actually. You can even leave a leaf cutting lying around in a humid place and return a week or so to find roots growing. It also keeps blooming on the same bud over and over, which is very nice especially if you have lots of it. It can also be very tolerant to heat once it adapts to the climate. I've discovered that ants love the flowers, though. I recommend placing the plant on a humidity tray when keeping it outdoors as the ants tend to nibble on the flower bud even before the blooms mature.

Positive Phaltyme On Sep 3, 2003, Phaltyme from Garden City, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'm interested to see the Hoya carnosa - I was given a little pot with about 3 leaves sticking up and told the name. This was very many years ago. I kept the thing, watered it and wondered about it. After about 5 years, it still looked exactly like it did the day I got it. We moved at this time and to my surprise, I saw a new growth. I immediately repotted it and it thrived and started blooming with flowers like pink velvet but one BIG problem: it STUNK big time.

Many people in my family are still growing it from starts from my plant. I now admire the pictures I took of it.

Positive Charleen43 On Sep 3, 2003, Charleen43 from Claremont, NH wrote:

I have had my grandmother's original wax plant for over 20 years now and she had it for at least 30 before it was handed down to me. Today, I just finished repotting it for about the 5th time since it has been in my possession.

Last fall we moved and I thought I was going to lose the plant as all the leaves started falling off, but I kept babying it and sure enough it is growing nicely again. The plant seemed to go into shock about a month after we moved. This place does not have the same amount of light that our old house had so maybe that has something to do with it.

This is one of my favorite plants and it is my most cherished because it was my grandmother's. I have read that it can last up to 50 years somewhere; a great plant to own that can last for years and years.

Positive Windsong On Mar 23, 2003, Windsong wrote:

I just wanted to add that mealy bugs love these plants. They are persistant and will lodge themselves in the apex, or just about anywhere. I wash my hoya and also use a systemic poison which is very effective within 5 days.

Positive Chrisg On Mar 21, 2003, Chrisg wrote:

I have this as a houseplant -same plant fot last 10 years -I have it in a hanging pot - needs more sunshine in our thin Canadian sun - I have it in a protected south window, and plant did not bloom until I removed a window valance - now blooms almost continuously if there is enough light in the winter - otherwise only blloms in summer. I fed it half strength fertilizer for many years - recently switched to full strength fertilizer with excellent results in new leaf growth and blooms.

Positive WAYNEB On Nov 3, 2002, WAYNEB wrote:

This has been the most undemanding of houseplants for me. It seems very forgiving of drying out without any damage. I've not seen any sign of insect problems. Seems to do best in a bright window. Avoid overwatering. I love the chocolate smell of the flowers. Be sure not to prune the long stems if you want it to bloom.

Positive heavenlyblooms On Nov 2, 2002, heavenlyblooms wrote:

This plant is a must have for plant collectors. I'm in Zone 9 (California, U.S.) so mine is in a container under an east facing covered porch. I am slowly winding it up with jute rope. It gets just a bit of morning sun and not a lot of water which seems to keep it happy. The flowers clusters are so perfect, they look like a confection and this variety smells like candy too!

Positive IslandJim On Sep 22, 2002, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Seems to bloom, maybe, 10 months a year here in southwest Florida. Unlike many vines, it will adhere to a painted surface [with a little help].

Positive Pywikit On Jul 11, 2002, Pywikit wrote:

This is a wonderful plant indoors or out. Make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight outside because it melts the wax that covers the leaves and flowers. It grows very fast if taken care of properly. I have started a plant by dipping a leaf in rootone. I have also made several plant from the large plant, after one good year of growth.

Positive cnut5949 On Jun 22, 2002, cnut5949 wrote:

I have this as a houseplant but have not experienced the sticky substance described by "eltel". Blossoms yearly are creamy - beige and look almost plastic. Their mild scent seems to be like chocolate. A very interesting plant worth waking up to.

Neutral eltel On Jul 14, 2001, eltel from Macclesfield, CHESHIRE (Zone 8a) wrote:

A word of warning for those planning to keep this as a house plant. The flowers are extremely rich in nectar which, because the flowers hang downwards, is liable to drop all over the floor! It is a very sticky substance which, when it has soaked into the carpet, can be difficult to remove. On stone plastic or wood floors warm soapy water will get rid of it.

Anniston, Alabama
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Santa Barbara, California
Gypsum, Colorado
Deland, Florida
Miami, Florida (2 reports)
Oldsmar, Florida